Used 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Most Helpful|
Headlamps
By dub47

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The engineer who designed the headlamps on the GMC Sierra 2009 should be fired yesterday! You pretty much have to disassemble the front end to replace a freakin headlamp! If you don't have time to mess with it and take it to the dealer, they'll only charge you $174.86 dam dollars to put in a new head lamp which you can purchase at the auto parts store for $13. Ridiculous design!

i love my truck
By djgmc

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

today my truck reached 20,000 miles i bought it in august 2009 it is a great truck i never had a problem with it , it runs smoothly on the freeway the a/c is ice cold , everyone loves my truck still looks like new . the only bad thing is that gas is too expencive right now .

Favorite Features

i like the everything from the exterior .

Suggested Improvements

i wish it could save more gas.

what a dissapointment
By mistified

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 GMC Junk to replace my awesome 1994 GMC 3/4 ton which I sold (huge mistake) driver visibility non existant inside lower corners cut out of mirrors prevent rear view near truck... lane lines in mirror appear several vehicles behind, must adjust mirrors to see curb/sidewalk when parallel parking then back into objects no longer visible when mirror set to curb, oversize posts and mirror assembly severely restricts drivers ability to see pedestrians or objects (pedestrian collision stats anyone?) parked my 1994 confidently within inches without incident 6 years my 2009 is full of dents after 3 years like many on road including police vehicles observed. eng., tran, steering suck

Favorite Features

my after market back-up camera that I installed has greatly reduced close encounters due to poor visibility from drivers seat.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign driver visibility to what it used to be... fix problems with engine, trans., steering and brakes Inform dealers not to try and tell someone with over 40 yrs experience driving cars, trucks, vans, busses and even parking 45' tractor trailer units that squeaky brakes and all my other concerns are normal. if this is the new normal from GM I will no longer purchase GM products of which I currently own 3 I feel sorry for the service managers having to defend this junk to intelligent bewildered customers.

Was expecting perfection, so far from it
By Truckguy101

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

i will say that I enjoy driving the truck when it's not at the dealer with issues. has a real nice sound, but the 4 speed transmission makes an alarming jerky upshift at about 30 kph. horribly unreliable. definitely a money pit. the dealer really doesn't care and screws me over by saying they didn't find anything and charge me $70 labor every time. truck's left me stranded more times than necessary. had it in for dead battery every morning and the truck has been in for the cylinder deactivation system not kicking back to 8 cylinders when needed. auto rear locking differential wouldn't unlock. overall, should've done my research and paid a bit more for a Ford.

Favorite Features

looks nice, black interior, auto 4x4

Suggested Improvements

quality control, get rid of the horrible thumpy drivetrain and make a better extended cab structure. put baffles in the gas tank and redo the seats so they maintain comfort after 5000 miles.

Almost 2 years later still a great choice!
By fieldt

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Everything still works as advertised. I wish every decision worked so well.

Favorite Features

I am getting more than the advertised gas mileage, how often can anyone say that? Well laid out instrument panel and controls make driving that much more comfortable.