2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
No Wonder Detroit is Going Bankrupt
By n/a on 05/04/10 21:50 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Uncomfortable sagging, squishy compressing narrow 40/20/40 seats. Hard downshift, narrow roof line, i bump the left side of my head often. I wish I had not bought this thing and was a GM FAN through and through. This will be my last piece of junk design, engineered, and sourced out by the idiots Detroit. I wonder how many of the reviews on this sight are by consumers, it looks they were mostly written by liars working GM

Clunks When You Stop
By George on 04/15/10 19:19 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Stop clunk noise, i can feel fuel moving around in the tank. My rights foot has gotten caught on the right side when pulling straight back from gas pedal. Ford's cab is much bigger and wider. Factory tires slip when taking off at light when it raining out. Seats won't recline all the way back, there's not light under the hood now do I check the oil when traveling at night. Tire pressure monitors quit giving proper reading after first tire rotation and the guy at Walmart it the cheap valve stems I have heard of other owners having the same problem. Fuel economy has not improved any over the last 20 years. Seat are not comfortable any more i guess they are only designed for 5,000 miles

Don't Waste Your Money
By Fred on 04/11/10 15:51 PM (PDT)

Cab is too Skinny. Accelerator and brake pedal are too close together. Seats are too Skinny foam too soft compress's and hurts to sit on, after @ 3k-4k miles. Cab entrance is too low I Bumped my head getting in I am 6ft tall. Too Much Sun Glare windshield hard to clean on inside. Brake Noise. Wind Noise. Stump Clunk, not fixable by GM Tech's Fuel tank sloshes @ 3/4 to full tank. I can feel a thump from fuel sloshing. Cabin area is much smaller than Ford or Dodge. Seats are very uncomfortable after driving for awhile. Tires spin on wet pavement 500 lb in bed pulling loaded trailer. No lamp under hood hard to add washer fluid or check oil after dark. TPI do not give correct reading

Garbage Motors Crap
By Fred on 04/03/10 18:09 PM (PDT)

Seats are made of cheap foam that compresses and is uncomfortable to sit on after 1k miles. I loved the first 1k miles and have hated it ever since. Fuel tank slosh when tank is 3/4 to full, you can hear it sloshing and and feel in banging from front to rear at a sudden stop. Accelerator and brake pedals are too close to together. Sole of right dress shoe get caught on right side by stupid piece of an ill conceived plastic cover. I am 6 ft & hit my head when entering in truck, roof line has been lowered too low, by inept idiots. Brake squeal at 5 and 15 mph. Trailer brake controller is low on left side of dash hard to reach and use. Stop Klunk noise. Dealers don't care.

GM Makes Great Trucks!
By Kevin on 03/23/10 22:14 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Was looking at Tacoma (don't need a big truck) extended cab & test drove one for the weekend, and I have to say the GMC blows it away for build quality, ergonomics, power, and gets nearly the same mileage. I guess the large size can be a minor inconvenience but the Sierra is so much better than any smaller truck, I opted for full size. Get the power folding side mirrors! Small things like touching the turn signal, and it blinks three times for easy lane changes, power seats for driver/passenger, options for interior lights, door locking, etc. The Sierra makes me believe GM really knows how to design & deliver a fantastic vehicle, which gives me confidence they'll be around a long time.

My GMC 4x4
By Rusty on 03/19/10 17:02 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving it but don't like the tires that it came with, no bite to the road really lousy traction, looks like just street tires anyway. Don't care for onstar and the satellite radio, always blanks out with the trees and some hills around here. Also the paint job is really thin, should be better with a good clear coat.

very happy owner
By loco on 01/19/10 21:20 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

love driving this truck my last one a 1990 l owned 20 years 400 thousand miles no problems. this one is like driving a caddy. smoth quiet peppy. i work for a large factory which buys ford trucks of witch i drive every day. they are like driving a modle t. the gmc has sooomuch more class ! they are alwas working on the fords. not one problem on the gmc. i was a auto mech for 20 years before i went to factory work and know that if you take care of your auto they last, by the refinement they have installed this truck it should last a life time! i have never been happier with a truck. the only drawback is gas mileage in town, its no better than my old truck; open road mileage is verry good.

'09 SIERRA GREAT TRUCK / VALUE
By SHAFE-2 on 01/15/10 17:10 PM (PST)

I replaced a full sized car and older “weekender” work p/u truck with this 1 vehicle. My daily highway commute is a joy. I had delayed this purchase for 2 years. Rebates, program discount and cash4clunkers made this too good to ignore. I am so glad I purchased this truck as it has more than exceeded my expectations. Solid, comfortable ride. Dual pwr buckets, large console, 60/40 rear flipup seats, give this cabin tons of room for extras and very spacious. 3 to 4 people are comfortable on short trips. I enjoy the trailering package, backup sensor, full open rear doors, large trailering mirrors. Dealer replaced a deformed drivers door molding, but still experience excessive wind noise

Good Experience Minus the Mileage
By pontiac301hell on 12/22/09 01:50 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

So far this truck has been great and reliable. I drive it in mixed conditions and have not had a problem yet for reliability. The truck starts no problem when I don't have a plug in available in the cold(-42 the other week). The cylinder shut down for improved mileage does not seem to work overly well. Sofar the best mileage I've been able to pull is 15 mpg while cruising at 110 km/h.

Big rebate did not help----over paid
By John on 12/15/09 15:05 PM (PST)

This truck has numerous quality control issues. I wish I did not take the rebate so I could take it back. I found the sticker amusing regarding the price to operate this truck per year is based gas at $1.90 a gallon. Read the little numbers on the mileage because it states "most will get between 11 to 15 per gallon". I must be part of the most crowd.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended-cab in VA is:

$122 per month*