Used 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Gmc Sierra-1500 - Consumer Reviews

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

UH OH- did they do this to all GMCs?
By Kevin UPDATE

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Ok guys, this is my update. I sold my 09 gmc after owning it for 8 months. When I did, it had 17 service records! The clunk and hard shift you have on the transmission was due to a part installed backwards! I had the sounds of rocks in the rolling wheels at slow speeds, and sloshing gasoline sounds when pulling out of the driveway. I was at the dealership so many times I got to know the staff! For appearance sake, the truck was gorgeous, but mechanically, it grew very old very fast. I spoke to a friend who bought a silverado, and he had the same transmission problems. So let's hope they've fixed it by now! I'm buying a Ford next! I didn't even look at them before I bought my gmc. Big mistake! Bad bad!

Favorite Features

bluetooth, leather

Suggested Improvements

Make sure you build them right! If a Truck costs nearly $40k, it should be ROCK SOLID... here I come FORD!

Sweet Ride
By Ron

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven my truck about 6000 miles now and I have had no problems at all. I do notice a hard upshift when I have to stop swiftly. I can only manage to get about 16 mpg. I traded in a 04 Nissan Titan 4x4 on this truck and I have not been too disappointed. Overall I think GM did good with this re-design.

Favorite Features

Styling both outside and in. Bright headlights, plenty of room. Remote Start. Approach Lighting at night.

Suggested Improvements

Fix clunkiness of the 6 speed transmission, improve fuel mileage, give it more horsepower!! Toyota, Dodge and Nissan have more hp.

Huge Step up
By Milt in FL

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I got this truck in July 09. It was a replacement for a 06 Lincoln Mark LT that was nothing but trouble. I said I'd never buy another ford so I went back to the GMC dealer(previous vehicle was an 03 avalanche). got the all terrain package, sunroof, 4X4, bluetooth, rear sliding window and rain sense wipers for less than a silverado! I had a lift on the LT and lifted the Sierra. Just drove it to NC from FL and got over 13 MPG with 6" lift! doing 75-80. 6spd tranny is a little clunky at times but I noticed it a lot less with the lift and it helps with gas mileage. Lincoln could never get over 9MPG. every brand has problems but GMC beats ford any day. pulled my bud's F250 out of the mud to

Favorite Features

Cylinder management...saves gas, bluetooth,remote start

Suggested Improvements

Sound system is not as good as previous bose system, refine tranny

Hard Downshift
By E.Garcia

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased by GMC in November, from the very beginning I noticed an uncomfortable ride. I called the dealership, they advice me to bring it in. I complained about the hard downshift and they took a test drive and said that they couldn't replicate the problem. But they did find that the tires were out of balance. It was dissappointing to find out that a new vehicle was not inspected properly from the factory for this. But the hard downshift still remains.

Favorite Features

Nice interior, driver seat needs to be more comfortable with a center fold down console, should have purchase one without fold down, instead with a full center console, front seats would have been whole and more filling.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, neet to improve the hard downshifts, makes ride uncomfortable and not smooth.

NICE TRUCK, but backwards parts!!!!
By kbuicker

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck had a number of problems in the 9 months I owned it. By the time I traded it, I had recorded 17 records! Here are a couple problems I dealt with: When the truck idled while rolling, it sounded like there were pebbles in the wheels and a loud 'whistle.' Service said the truck had a bad alternator and replaced it; problem persisted. Later, they replaced the waterpump; Problem fixed. Later I noticed the truck would SLAM into gear when idling down the road... problem turned out to be a transmission part installed backwards! Wow! This may of triggered a recall? I traded the truck.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, OnStar, auto headlights, nice armrest, much more comfortable that my last Dodge Truck (ride and ergos).

Suggested Improvements

Build it right GMC! You charge alot for your trucks, I would think they would be built better! I guess Consumer Reports agrees with me! NOTE: I WOULD BUY ANOTHER, but would be nervous doing so.