2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Headlamps
By dub47 on 08/13/13 16:20 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The engineer who designed the headlamps on the GMC Sierra 2009 should be fired yesterday! You pretty much have to disassemble the front end to replace a freakin headlamp! If you don't have time to mess with it and take it to the dealer, they'll only charge you $174.86 dam dollars to put in a new head lamp which you can purchase at the auto parts store for $13. Ridiculous design!

what a dissapointment
By mistified on 09/15/12 11:33 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 GMC Junk to replace my awesome 1994 GMC 3/4 ton which I sold (huge mistake) driver visibility non existant inside lower corners cut out of mirrors prevent rear view near truck... lane lines in mirror appear several vehicles behind, must adjust mirrors to see curb/sidewalk when parallel parking then back into objects no longer visible when mirror set to curb, oversize posts and mirror assembly severely restricts drivers ability to see pedestrians or objects (pedestrian collision stats anyone?) parked my 1994 confidently within inches without incident 6 years my 2009 is full of dents after 3 years like many on road including police vehicles observed. eng., tran, steering suck

i love my truck
By djgmc on 01/17/12 20:23 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

today my truck reached 20,000 miles i bought it in august 2009 it is a great truck i never had a problem with it , it runs smoothly on the freeway the a/c is ice cold , everyone loves my truck still looks like new . the only bad thing is that gas is too expencive right now .

Almost 2 years later still a great choice!
By fieldt on 07/07/11 12:43 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Everything still works as advertised. I wish every decision worked so well.

Hey GM Designers Quit taking stupid pills
By takeabreak on 07/04/11 10:40 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

GMC = Government Motors Crap! WHere do I start, Fuel economy sucks, 2 mps less than rated, been checked out no mechanical reasons, not driver error I drive conservatively. Vehicles, people and objects disappear behind the review mirror because of the lowered roof line, I cannot clean the windshield because of the sloped design. Your seats suck, around a 1,000 miles the foam starting softer and I now feel like I am sinking in the seat, very uncomfortable, no left ffo rest, so I am sliding around when braking. Noisey peace of crap, stop klunks, bumps and thumps, hard downshifts.

Great Truck
By pyusmc66 on 06/05/11 17:59 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck 12/30/09 with many incentives, but you are never going to beat a dealer on a negotiation. Got a fair price. Disabled Vietnam Veteran who uses this truck primarily for towing a fishing boat and around the home hauling. Extremely comfortable on my back. I love the Active Fuel Management which is very good at maximizing mileage with cruise. Also love all the bells and whistles bluetooth, onstar, sound system, quiet interior, mp3 etc. Have been very happy with the drivetrain even though the 6 speed auto became available on this model in 2010. Would absolutely recommend this truck to anyone and love buying American and glad GM is doing better.

Was expecting perfection, so far from it
By Truckguy101 on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

i will say that I enjoy driving the truck when it's not at the dealer with issues. has a real nice sound, but the 4 speed transmission makes an alarming jerky upshift at about 30 kph. horribly unreliable. definitely a money pit. the dealer really doesn't care and screws me over by saying they didn't find anything and charge me $70 labor every time. truck's left me stranded more times than necessary. had it in for dead battery every morning and the truck has been in for the cylinder deactivation system not kicking back to 8 cylinders when needed. auto rear locking differential wouldn't unlock. overall, should've done my research and paid a bit more for a Ford.

Maybe DODGE next time???
By kg on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have the experience of driving botht he F-150 and the new GMC and I have to honestly say after owning both vehicle, that the F-150 seems more solid. The 6 speed transmission shift funny, it shifts when it seems like it should hold the gear longer and downshifts when it shouldn't. Sometimes for no reason at all, it will just shift hard. I pull a 6000 pound camper trailer with my GMC and pulled the same one with the F-150. The GMC transmition is just not up to the task. If a GMC can not do a truck's job, who can?? Perhaps Dodge, I hear they make a good truck these days. Hopefully GM will take a serious look at their trans in next years model, and consider a recall on current ones.

I hate my Truck
By Who Cares GM Doesn't on 07/17/10 12:24 PM (PDT)

The fuel sloshes in the tank, the brakes squeak, the trans clunk and thumps, service people are incompetent and have the same old worthless GM attitude, cab is too narrow.

wow way to go gm
By clyde deese on 05/11/10 19:18 PM (PDT)

i have a gmc 2009 1500 sierra crew cab slt 4x4 i have problems with my back up sensors and transmission sliping and not wanting to shift or de shift down the brakes dont wanna stop some times, the truck cuts off goiong down the down the road, gas milage sucks i had a o6 2500 hd lifted with a 6.0 gas motor which got better gas mialge. i have had problems with traction control and with my radio/ on start not wanting to work. i just got denied by gm for repurishment and i been to the dealerships four time but they cant find anything they aint standing behind there vechicles.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended-cab in VA is:

$122 per month*