Used 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Not the Best
By rockytop2

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My 2009 GMC Truck has 35000 and I have already had to put over a 1000.00 into it. First, after 2 years the Evap Vent went out covered under warranty, they replaced the vent. I went out again shortly after year 3 after warranty. Had to pay 500.00 for a special kit to be installed. This was a known problem but GMC would not pay. Year 4, the alternator went bad. 480.00 to replace. Now the steering is making a loud groaning noise when turning. Said may be a bushing and could cost a small fortune to fix. So I would never recommend GM to anyone and will never by another. In my opinion, any vehicle should go 5 years if taken care of without any issues. Pitiful product GM.

Need to build your trucks better and stand behind them with a 5 year warranty.

Headlamps
By dub47

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The engineer who designed the headlamps on the GMC Sierra 2009 should be fired yesterday! You pretty much have to disassemble the front end to replace a freakin headlamp! If you don't have time to mess with it and take it to the dealer, they'll only charge you $174.86 dam dollars to put in a new head lamp which you can purchase at the auto parts store for $13. Ridiculous design!

what a dissapointment
By mistified

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 GMC Junk to replace my awesome 1994 GMC 3/4 ton which I sold (huge mistake) driver visibility non existant inside lower corners cut out of mirrors prevent rear view near truck... lane lines in mirror appear several vehicles behind, must adjust mirrors to see curb/sidewalk when parallel parking then back into objects no longer visible when mirror set to curb, oversize posts and mirror assembly severely restricts drivers ability to see pedestrians or objects (pedestrian collision stats anyone?) parked my 1994 confidently within inches without incident 6 years my 2009 is full of dents after 3 years like many on road including police vehicles observed. eng., tran, steering suck

my after market back-up camera that I installed has greatly reduced close encounters due to poor visibility from drivers seat.

Redesign driver visibility to what it used to be... fix problems with engine, trans., steering and brakes Inform dealers not to try and tell someone with over 40 yrs experience driving cars, trucks, vans, busses and even parking 45' tractor trailer units that squeaky brakes and all my other concerns are normal. if this is the new normal from GM I will no longer purchase GM products of which I currently own 3 I feel sorry for the service managers having to defend this junk to intelligent bewildered customers.

i love my truck
By djgmc

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

today my truck reached 20,000 miles i bought it in august 2009 it is a great truck i never had a problem with it , it runs smoothly on the freeway the a/c is ice cold , everyone loves my truck still looks like new . the only bad thing is that gas is too expencive right now .

i like the everything from the exterior .

i wish it could save more gas.

Almost 2 years later still a great choice!
By fieldt

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Everything still works as advertised. I wish every decision worked so well.

I am getting more than the advertised gas mileage, how often can anyone say that? Well laid out instrument panel and controls make driving that much more comfortable.