2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Extremely disappointed. Worthless at 52k miles
By 2ndstpirate on 01/10/13 07:20 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Had to get motor replaced at 52k miles. Starting at 35k the lifters starting ticking. Dealership has worked on it an average of 2 days each month for the past year and finally had to replace the motor. It left me stranded and had to be towed twice in the past 8 weeks. Interior - "fake leather" seats started cracking at 3 years old. Dash cracked at 40K miles. Door panels rattle and dash does as well. Replaced two sets of power door locks. They are not worth 2 cent Horn went into a high pitch about 1 year into owning it. It sounds like a little foreign car. 4x4 is weak. I often drive on sand and it cannot run in 4 high without overheating for more than 10 minutes at speeds of 20mph

Going strong
By captaingood on 12/16/12 18:32 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

original owner 2009 103,000 miles daily driver 100 miles every day to work and back. this truck has never let me down rain or snow i never miss work or anywhere i need to go.

So So
By CG on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My only real complaint with this truck is the power/acceleration. I have the 5.3L Crew Cab with 6-speed AT, and unless I just have a lemon, this truck is a dog when it comes to acceleration. I literally get passed by Honda civics and the like with ease. The transmission sometimes feels like it is going to break apart; there are loud clunking noises quite frequently. It seems like the truck drives differently each and every time that I turn it on. I love everything else about the truck, but I just can't get past the very poor performance of the engine/transmission. This is more than likely due to the limitations that GM puts on the engines/transmissions due to the long warranty period.

21,000 miles (Everything I expected)
By Colorado on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Replaced a disaster 6.0 PSD (too many warranty invoices overloaded glove box) and went back to gasser GMC. Truck is fully fitted out and has never been in the shop for any warranty work. Averaging 19.7 mpg city/hwy and consistently get over 20 on the hwy at 75 mph (about what I expected for this heavy truck). Auto 4WD is great in the snow and wet weather, and tow/haul functions as designed. Can cruise all day at 75-80 mph on the interstate--comfortable with smooth ride. Good leg room in the back seat for adults. Reasonably quiet ride with lots of room--tight finish, no rattles or squeaks.

UH OH- did they do this to all GMCs?
By Kevin UPDATE on 07/02/10 16:02 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Ok guys, this is my update. I sold my 09 gmc after owning it for 8 months. When I did, it had 17 service records! The clunk and hard shift you have on the transmission was due to a part installed backwards! I had the sounds of rocks in the rolling wheels at slow speeds, and sloshing gasoline sounds when pulling out of the driveway. I was at the dealership so many times I got to know the staff! For appearance sake, the truck was gorgeous, but mechanically, it grew very old very fast. I spoke to a friend who bought a silverado, and he had the same transmission problems. So let's hope they've fixed it by now! I'm buying a Ford next! I didn't even look at them before I bought my gmc. Big mistake! Bad bad!

Sweet Ride
By Ron on 05/22/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven my truck about 6000 miles now and I have had no problems at all. I do notice a hard upshift when I have to stop swiftly. I can only manage to get about 16 mpg. I traded in a 04 Nissan Titan 4x4 on this truck and I have not been too disappointed. Overall I think GM did good with this re-design.

Huge Step up
By Milt in FL on 02/15/10 12:35 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I got this truck in July 09. It was a replacement for a 06 Lincoln Mark LT that was nothing but trouble. I said I'd never buy another ford so I went back to the GMC dealer(previous vehicle was an 03 avalanche). got the all terrain package, sunroof, 4X4, bluetooth, rear sliding window and rain sense wipers for less than a silverado! I had a lift on the LT and lifted the Sierra. Just drove it to NC from FL and got over 13 MPG with 6" lift! doing 75-80. 6spd tranny is a little clunky at times but I noticed it a lot less with the lift and it helps with gas mileage. Lincoln could never get over 9MPG. every brand has problems but GMC beats ford any day. pulled my bud's F250 out of the mud to

Hard Downshift
By E.Garcia on 01/25/10 04:23 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased by GMC in November, from the very beginning I noticed an uncomfortable ride. I called the dealership, they advice me to bring it in. I complained about the hard downshift and they took a test drive and said that they couldn't replicate the problem. But they did find that the tires were out of balance. It was dissappointing to find out that a new vehicle was not inspected properly from the factory for this. But the hard downshift still remains.

NICE TRUCK, but backwards parts!!!!
By kbuicker on 01/24/10 08:51 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck had a number of problems in the 9 months I owned it. By the time I traded it, I had recorded 17 records! Here are a couple problems I dealt with: When the truck idled while rolling, it sounded like there were pebbles in the wheels and a loud 'whistle.' Service said the truck had a bad alternator and replaced it; problem persisted. Later, they replaced the waterpump; Problem fixed. Later I noticed the truck would SLAM into gear when idling down the road... problem turned out to be a transmission part installed backwards! Wow! This may of triggered a recall? I traded the truck.

GMC Sierra 4x4
By Jack on 01/21/10 00:54 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I've had my truck for a year now and have driven it in a wide combination of environments consisting of rain, sand, mud, snow, and ice. The truck has performed flawlessly. I enjoy driving this truck as much today as the day I bought it...I just love it! Reliability has been perfect. One thing that I'll highlight is truck's handling and surefoot nature in snow and on ice. The 4x4 autotrac system is second to none. I've been driving trucks for over 20 years and this truck is the best that I've ever driven. I've had the opportunity to drive all of the new truck releases and when I'm done driving the other trucks; I can only say that I look forward to getting back behind the wheel of my GMC.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew-cab in VA is:

$125 per month*