2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Not the Best
By rockytop2 on 10/30/14 17:13 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My 2009 GMC Truck has 35000 and I have already had to put over a 1000.00 into it. First, after 2 years the Evap Vent went out covered under warranty, they replaced the vent. I went out again shortly after year 3 after warranty. Had to pay 500.00 for a special kit to be installed. This was a known problem but GMC would not pay. Year 4, the alternator went bad. 480.00 to replace. Now the steering is making a loud groaning noise when turning. Said may be a bushing and could cost a small fortune to fix. So I would never recommend GM to anyone and will never by another. In my opinion, any vehicle should go 5 years if taken care of without any issues. Pitiful product GM.

Headlamps
By dub47 on 08/13/13 16:20 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The engineer who designed the headlamps on the GMC Sierra 2009 should be fired yesterday! You pretty much have to disassemble the front end to replace a freakin headlamp! If you don't have time to mess with it and take it to the dealer, they'll only charge you $174.86 dam dollars to put in a new head lamp which you can purchase at the auto parts store for $13. Ridiculous design!

Extremely disappointed. Worthless at 52k miles
By 2ndstpirate on 01/10/13 07:20 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Had to get motor replaced at 52k miles. Starting at 35k the lifters starting ticking. Dealership has worked on it an average of 2 days each month for the past year and finally had to replace the motor. It left me stranded and had to be towed twice in the past 8 weeks. Interior - "fake leather" seats started cracking at 3 years old. Dash cracked at 40K miles. Door panels rattle and dash does as well. Replaced two sets of power door locks. They are not worth 2 cent Horn went into a high pitch about 1 year into owning it. It sounds like a little foreign car. 4x4 is weak. I often drive on sand and it cannot run in 4 high without overheating for more than 10 minutes at speeds of 20mph

Going strong
By captaingood on 12/16/12 18:32 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

original owner 2009 103,000 miles daily driver 100 miles every day to work and back. this truck has never let me down rain or snow i never miss work or anywhere i need to go.

Best Truck in the world
By njoosse on 11/16/12 08:05 AM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I saw a lot of negative reviews on here and wanted to set the record straight. We've had the 09 Sierra since new, and it now has 177,000miles on it. These have been hard miles, mostly pulling trailers, this is strictly a work truck, sometimes it pulls in excess of 10,000lbs (twice what it is rated for). In its lifetime we have changed the front brake pads once (still has original rotors) we have changed the tires a few times and the oil about every 10,000miles. Everything else is original, rear brakes, tranny fluid, air filter. Truck runs and drives like new! No rattles or squeaks, we've had over 30 work trucks, never had one this tough and dependable. Very good on fuel as well.

what a dissapointment
By mistified on 09/15/12 11:33 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 GMC Junk to replace my awesome 1994 GMC 3/4 ton which I sold (huge mistake) driver visibility non existant inside lower corners cut out of mirrors prevent rear view near truck... lane lines in mirror appear several vehicles behind, must adjust mirrors to see curb/sidewalk when parallel parking then back into objects no longer visible when mirror set to curb, oversize posts and mirror assembly severely restricts drivers ability to see pedestrians or objects (pedestrian collision stats anyone?) parked my 1994 confidently within inches without incident 6 years my 2009 is full of dents after 3 years like many on road including police vehicles observed. eng., tran, steering suck

i love my truck
By djgmc on 01/17/12 20:23 PM (PST)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

today my truck reached 20,000 miles i bought it in august 2009 it is a great truck i never had a problem with it , it runs smoothly on the freeway the a/c is ice cold , everyone loves my truck still looks like new . the only bad thing is that gas is too expencive right now .

Almost 2 years later still a great choice!
By fieldt on 07/07/11 12:43 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Everything still works as advertised. I wish every decision worked so well.

Hey GM Designers Quit taking stupid pills
By takeabreak on 07/04/11 10:40 AM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

GMC = Government Motors Crap! WHere do I start, Fuel economy sucks, 2 mps less than rated, been checked out no mechanical reasons, not driver error I drive conservatively. Vehicles, people and objects disappear behind the review mirror because of the lowered roof line, I cannot clean the windshield because of the sloped design. Your seats suck, around a 1,000 miles the foam starting softer and I now feel like I am sinking in the seat, very uncomfortable, no left ffo rest, so I am sliding around when braking. Noisey peace of crap, stop klunks, bumps and thumps, hard downshifts.

Great Truck
By pyusmc66 on 06/05/11 17:59 PM (PDT)

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck 12/30/09 with many incentives, but you are never going to beat a dealer on a negotiation. Got a fair price. Disabled Vietnam Veteran who uses this truck primarily for towing a fishing boat and around the home hauling. Extremely comfortable on my back. I love the Active Fuel Management which is very good at maximizing mileage with cruise. Also love all the bells and whistles bluetooth, onstar, sound system, quiet interior, mp3 etc. Have been very happy with the drivetrain even though the 6 speed auto became available on this model in 2010. Would absolutely recommend this truck to anyone and love buying American and glad GM is doing better.