2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Review: Collapsed Lifter 5.3L AFM

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Review

2008 GMC Sierra 1500

SLT Crew Cab Pickup (5.3L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic 5.8 ft. Bed)

Collapsed Lifter 5.3L AFM
By ricosha3 on

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

There appears to be a problem with the lifters in these 5.3L AFM engines that GM won't admit.
At 87K miles and 5.5 years old GM garage says lifter is collapsed & wants to replace all 16 @ $3400 & @ my expense.
There are lots of posts from drivers with this problem but GM won't admit and GM Customer Service is only lip service... "out of warranty sucks to be you".
GM & the dealers don't care... take my advice and buy a Ford.
I'm stuck with this piece of crap cause I just paid it off and can't afford to buy another $40,000 mistake.
BTW: this AFM engine is the same as in current models... beware!

looks pretty

GM needs to admit it has a problem in these 5.3 L AFM engines and take care of the problem for those suckers that are stuck driving them.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By jjkul
on 12/02/14 07:44 AM (PST)

Same here. Mine went out 54k, so it was under warranty. The oil consumption issue was fixed, cost of $500 at carr fleet auto. The guy new exactly what to fix after the local dealer had no idea. Dealer just wanted me to keep coming back to pay the $99 service fee. Door and window switches stopped working at 38000 miles, GM said "oh well". Last GM product for me!

By mbear417
on 12/01/15 17:45 PM (PST)

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT with the 6.2L. I have 29,500 miles on. Mine is in the shop right now getting a new camshaft and lifters because a lifter collapsed. The bad lifter also damaged the camshaft. Fortunately I'm still under the factory warranty. But this problem certainly doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

By gunner42
on 01/24/14 13:31 PM (PST)

Got me too at 88K. Got the service traction control and stabiltrak lights, along with the service engine light. The result was a misfire on #7. The mechanic pinned it down to a collapsed lifter. looking like $3K to fix! And, of course, its beyond the factory warranty. What a rip! No more GMC in my future. Guess that what we paid for with our Govt bailout! If anyone knows of any pending actions related to this particular problem, please feel free to share it with me. $3K out of pocket at 88K miles hurts!