Collapsed Lifter 5.3L AFM
By ricosha3 on
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
There appears to be a problem with the lifters in these 5.3L AFM engines that GM won't admit. At 87K miles and 5.5 years old GM garage says lifter is collapsed & wants to replace all 16 @ $3400 & @ my expense. There are lots of posts from drivers with this problem but GM won't admit and GM Customer Service is only lip service... "out of warranty sucks to be you". GM & the dealers don't care... take my advice and buy a Ford. I'm stuck with this piece of crap cause I just paid it off and can't afford to buy another $40,000 mistake. BTW: this AFM engine is the same as in current models... beware!
Favorite Features
looks pretty
Suggested Improvements
GM needs to admit it has a problem in these 5.3 L AFM engines and take care of the problem for those suckers that are stuck driving them.
By gunner42
on 01/24/14 13:31 PM (PST)

Got me too at 88K. Got the service traction control and stabiltrak lights, along with the service engine light. The result was a misfire on #7. The mechanic pinned it down to a collapsed lifter. looking like $3K to fix! And, of course, its beyond the factory warranty. What a rip! No more GMC in my future. Guess that what we paid for with our Govt bailout! If anyone knows of any pending actions related to this particular problem, please feel free to share it with me. $3K out of pocket at 88K miles hurts!