2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Review: Ain't what she used be

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Review

Ain't what she used be
By jst0771 on

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought in July of 08, currently have 65K on the truck. the only gripe I really have about is a major one. The powertrain. I'm not a hard driver, mileage has been mostly highway. I've had the forward sprag gear brak in the transmission, a front wheel bearing start to come apart, and now its sitting in the service department for low oil pressure. It also is down 2.5 quarts of oil with 25% life left on the monitor and no low oil level indicator. I've been told by the service department that the engine can burn a quart every 1000 to 2000 miles and be considered normal. I've reviewed several forums on the issue, and there are alot of people with with the same issue, being told the same thing.

Get rid of Active Fuel Management. I've yet to see any real difference. If you won't get rid of it, then add the ability to disable it. My 2000 Chevy Silverado had the pre-AFM 5.3 V8. Put 160K on it and it was still going strong. I no longer have any hope that this egine is as reliable. I will be trading out of the GM family within the next year.