Used 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Gmc Sierra-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

GMC should change there initials...
By jojo123

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

To JUNK!!!! Too many problems with check engine light coming on constantly. For some reason, the gas cap constantly comes loose. GM should provide better stock tires. Had a flat from a piece of limestone gravel. Dealer told me I should drive on better roads! (It's a truck, isn't it?) Should have stayed with Ford. Big mistake to buy this truck. Dealer isn't interested in helping very often. It takes multiple visits to fix one problem. Maybe if the service manager got off his lazy [violative content deleted] of his chair, it could be fixed. Last GM product EVER!

Still not sold on vehicle
By north star

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought pickup through GM Employee Pricing sale and got very good deal. Not quite sure about pickup, as you can feel the 4 and 8 cylinder activating and de-activating. I have experienced the tranny jerk from a complete stop as well. After changing oil I can smell oil in the cabin for at least the first 1,500 miles before going away, cannot find any leaks anywhere.

Favorite Features

Went with GMC over Chevy as it looked nicer overall style wise.

Suggested Improvements

Forget the active fuel management, and stick with basics, I am getting worse mileage now than I did with my 2005 Chevy crew cab and that was a heavier vehicle, I should be getting better economy now than before, going backwards.

So Far So Good?!
By nickdapit

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I moved up from a 96 Chevy S10 to a 2008 Sierra, and like the title says so far so good?! I am impressed with the ride and overall appeal of the truck. I had a spray-on bedliner installed and the truck has no problem getting any big job done.

Favorite Features

The ability to save so many channels on your radio, and see which channel you are selecting. Also great feeling steering wheel leather.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is I have heard some rattling going on somewhere in the car seems like it is coming on the far corners of the front dash. But if that is my only complaint then I will live. Be nice to have some better plastic moldings on the dash..seems a little cheapy!!

2008 GMC 1500
By medic979

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Nice truck. However, the transmission shifts hard and catches when leaving from complete stop. Dealer says they have had other customers with same problem and no fix for it, so very disappointed. Was in shop at 2000 miles with this problem and still does it. I looked at Fords and Toyota, quality was better. Why did I buy GM? I liked my selling dealer. I'm stuck with this truck that has a catch when leaving from a complete stop. Think twice before purchasing. I do enjoy the truck and if they find a fix for it I'll be happy, but they may be bankrupt first. Till they get their act together, go with Toyota.

Favorite Features

Appearance, factory 20" tires.

Suggested Improvements

Fix tranny problems, slip yoke problems

2008 GMC SLT Z71 Ext Cab 6.5 bed # 2
By schodackbassman

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th GMC extended cab and my 2nd z71 SLT. Trade my 04 for the 08 because of the great deals over the summer. I loved my 04 but the 08 is hands down a better overall truck. Adjustable everything for the driver including gas/brake pedal. Heated seats, great sound system, upgraded leather seats overall nicer inside. Like the return of drum brakes in the back and nice wheels. EZ lift tailgate is a godsend. Can be open/closed with one hand. Better heater then the 04 but still slow to warm in stop/go traffic on cold mornings below 20 degrees. Remote start is great, ride is great, looks are good, & no more touchy ABS system. 17" Wrangle ATS much better than cheap Bridgestones.

Favorite Features

Cabin comfort, tires, ez lift tailgate, sound system, power and ride. Towing - Don't even feel the boat back there. Great off road in mud thanks to tires and locking differential.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of those tire pressure sensors! 170 degree door won't stay open, closer attention to body finish. Had paint drips on both doors. Some distortion in windshield but I'm used to it now. Sun visor small and no longer has extension I loved on my 04.