Used 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Gmc Sierra-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

transmission dead after 44k miles
By jms20

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab SLE1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new and it has been generally fine. Unfortunately the transmission self-destructed 1 month out of the 5 year warranty. I do mostly city driving and rarely tow. The dealer tried to repair it but apparently it was so bad they gave up and put in a rebuilt one. Very disappointed given I've only driven it 40k miles. The dealer was able to get some of it covered by GMC at least but I felt like they should have covered it all since the problem started before the 5yr end date.

Bad Transmission
By junkgmcsierra

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

GMC will not stand behind there Trucks. My 2013 Sierra has ahard banging type clunk noise when shifting to 3rd gear sometime it feels like the powertrain is going to break. After several attemts to have it resolved including a test drive from a GM rep i have been told this is normal condition. GM bulletin # 01-07-30-042G. This truck has less than 9k miles on it.

Suggested Improvements

Impove on customer service.

me again
By jeffhall

well 2008 gmc half ton 4x4 seirra. "heck i really dont know where to begin . it seems this truck looks good but i have had uncountable troble with it it has now 46914 miles and last night it was on the record being towed to the dealership becouse the locking diff engage coming out of my garssy back yard with a slight incline. and try alot of things to disingage the locking diff and i just didnt get it to disengage. anyways ..heres what ive had problems withother than what i just mentioned . flashes from under truck while driving, blinkers , tail lights fogging up, battery leaking all over the underhood side, gadges doing weird stuff, light display correctly, "ran out of space to keep typing.

Favorite Features

mom allways said this if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything atall sooo.

Suggested Improvements

build a better truck.

not what i exspected fora new truck
By jeff hall

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab SLE1 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Tail lights were replaced after filling with condensation, blinkers get a mind of there own, "when I turn the blinker on the light flashes on dash but no clicking sound from the relay no the blinker even works on the outside. Last night partially the lights on the dash "half" of them when off and on twice and came back on. As I was driving in a snow storm I noticed something flashing from the front of the truck. Haven't found what it might be because when it stopped the truck and did a walk around it to see if all the lights were working they were and got back into the truck and when I got home turning into my drive there was the flash again. If its happening when I take it in then what?

Favorite Features

i like the front end look. i like having 4x4. ilike the clearance from the road and i also like xm,onstar,and the built in phone. the blower for the heating and ac? now that is awesome. rides better than my 67 gto to.

Suggested Improvements

The dealer called it rail dust needed repaint. The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong with the turn signals, and if the dash lights aren't flashing on and off when I take it in this time? well I guess there's nothing wrong there either. Fix my truck please seems to be electrical.

good enough
By gmc

first 2 wheel drive truck ! no regrets so far ! and this pa winter of 09 isnt pretty. no snow tires or weight in back and goes good with locking rearend !getting 17 mixed driving and 21 on highway !

Favorite Features

locking rear end

Suggested Improvements

better gauges for base model