Used 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

AFM Lifter Camshaft Failure at 85K!!
By fedcr

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've always loved the way that GMC's vehicles look, feel and drive. We own a 2008 Yukon XL and love it. This 2008 Sierra Crew Cab SLT 4x4 started consuming 1 quart of oil every 2K miles without any leaks, and then the traction control light, service engine light and many others came on at 84K miles (no warranty). Took it to the dealer where I bought it, and the dealer said it is cylinder 5, camshaft and lifters need to be replaced, and it would be better for me to spend $7500 on a new engine. I skipped the dealer and called GM who agreed to cover everything above $3500. I asked the dealer if the problem with the AFM has been fixed and the dealer said they are not aware of a problem. Ridiculous. So I have a brand new engine but have no confidence in how long it will last. I'm hoping to get rid of this and buy anything other than a GM product.

Cracked Dash and AFM Lifters
By chuckaggie

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just after the power train warranty expires my AFM lifter sticks.
$3000 shop bill later and some internet research I know to watch my oil level like a hawk and never purchase another GM.

Also the Massive cracks in my dash remind me of 80's GM.
Its nice to see them bringing back the materials from their 80's cars.

Don't buy one of these trucks.
Buy new and dump them when out of warranty.

I would say the drain your wallet feature is my favorite. Knowing that GM is pushing AFM on all their trucks makes my decision to avoid future Government Motors vehicles an easy one.

Fix or Lose the AFM system. Roll out a small diesel in 1/2 ton trucks. Do a proper re-call for older AFM trucks and restore belief in your product.

Check carefully before you buy
By txcwby

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall, i would not buy this truck again due to repair costs.

At 104,000 miles (notice it's just outside the warranty) engine heads both cracked - with the mileage and the reported issues about oil usage and AFM related issue, it makes more sense to replace with a GM crate engine than to solve part of the problem.

Mileage on E85 is 14mpg in 2wd if you are an extremely light footed driver.
With 87 octane, the average mpg (light foot) is 18mpg-19mpg in hilly terrain.

As a cowboy and rancher, my vehicle is my lifeblood and cost of ownership and reliability is key.
This truck just hasn't met the minimum expectations.
Cost for new engine at GM dealer - $7,898.77

Interior is well done, instrument cluster is extremely clear, and buttons are all sized for when you have gloves on.

Turning radius is ridiclously large. Body roll/sway when making a sharp turn at >45mph can easily feel like losing control due to length of vehicle and stiffness of frame. Oil level gauge needs to be installed - this truck will go from 'ok' to stop engine - low oi pressure without any warning - such as oil pressure PSI gauge showing reduced oil. That's great for the pump working effectively, but it's nice to know when you're getting low - and based on forum feedback, the AFM engine in this truck can burn 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles and be considered normal by GM.

Collapsed Lifter 5.3L AFM
By ricosha3

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

There appears to be a problem with the lifters in these 5.3L AFM engines that GM won't admit.
At 87K miles and 5.5 years old GM garage says lifter is collapsed & wants to replace all 16 @ $3400 & @ my expense.
There are lots of posts from drivers with this problem but GM won't admit and GM Customer Service is only lip service... "out of warranty sucks to be you".
GM & the dealers don't care... take my advice and buy a Ford.
I'm stuck with this piece of crap cause I just paid it off and can't afford to buy another $40,000 mistake.
BTW: this AFM engine is the same as in current models... beware!

looks pretty

GM needs to admit it has a problem in these 5.3 L AFM engines and take care of the problem for those suckers that are stuck driving them.

Ain't what she used be
By jst0771

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought in July of 08, currently have 65K on the truck. the only gripe I really have about is a major one.
The powertrain. I'm not a hard driver, mileage has been mostly highway.
I've had the forward sprag gear brak in the transmission, a front wheel bearing start to come apart, and now its sitting in the service department for low oil pressure. It also is down 2.5 quarts of oil with 25% life left on the monitor and no low oil level indicator.
I've been told by the service department that the engine can burn a quart every 1000 to 2000 miles and be considered normal.
I've reviewed several forums on the issue, and there are alot of people with with the same issue, being told the same thing.

Get rid of Active Fuel Management. I've yet to see any real difference. If you won't get rid of it, then add the ability to disable it. My 2000 Chevy Silverado had the pre-AFM 5.3 V8. Put 160K on it and it was still going strong. I no longer have any hope that this egine is as reliable. I will be trading out of the GM family within the next year.