2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Cracked Dash and AFM Lifters
By chuckaggie on 12/31/13 16:33 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just after the power train warranty expires my AFM lifter sticks. $3000 shop bill later and some internet research I know to watch my oil level like a hawk and never purchase another GM. Also the Massive cracks in my dash remind me of 80's GM. Its nice to see them bringing back the materials from their 80's cars. Don't buy one of these trucks. Buy new and dump them when out of warranty.

Check carefully before you buy
By txcwby on 12/27/13 03:11 AM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall, i would not buy this truck again due to repair costs. At 104,000 miles (notice it's just outside the warranty) engine heads both cracked - with the mileage and the reported issues about oil usage and AFM related issue, it makes more sense to replace with a GM crate engine than to solve part of the problem. Mileage on E85 is 14mpg in 2wd if you are an extremely light footed driver. With 87 octane, the average mpg (light foot) is 18mpg-19mpg in hilly terrain. As a cowboy and rancher, my vehicle is my lifeblood and cost of ownership and reliability is key. This truck just hasn't met the minimum expectations. Cost for new engine at GM dealer - $7,898.77

Collapsed Lifter 5.3L AFM
By ricosha3 on 10/16/13 05:59 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

There appears to be a problem with the lifters in these 5.3L AFM engines that GM won't admit. At 87K miles and 5.5 years old GM garage says lifter is collapsed & wants to replace all 16 @ $3400 & @ my expense. There are lots of posts from drivers with this problem but GM won't admit and GM Customer Service is only lip service... "out of warranty sucks to be you". GM & the dealers don't care... take my advice and buy a Ford. I'm stuck with this piece of crap cause I just paid it off and can't afford to buy another $40,000 mistake. BTW: this AFM engine is the same as in current models... beware!

Ain't what she used be
By jst0771 on 09/22/11 13:45 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought in July of 08, currently have 65K on the truck. the only gripe I really have about is a major one. The powertrain. I'm not a hard driver, mileage has been mostly highway. I've had the forward sprag gear brak in the transmission, a front wheel bearing start to come apart, and now its sitting in the service department for low oil pressure. It also is down 2.5 quarts of oil with 25% life left on the monitor and no low oil level indicator. I've been told by the service department that the engine can burn a quart every 1000 to 2000 miles and be considered normal. I've reviewed several forums on the issue, and there are alot of people with with the same issue, being told the same thing.

Fit and finish
By mesalaxdad on 12/29/10 19:16 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Denali 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

So I've had the truck less than a year. It has only 18k on it. I've had to replace two door lock switches. I've also replaced a leaky oil pan gasket. It's been in the dealership 3 times. When I wash it the door moldings leak for hours.

First GMC Sierra 1500
By Sierra2008 on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This Truck has been nothing but problems. Starts out with, 6 door locks being replaced, A new radio, rattles, dir seat broke, steering wheel Bearing went bad. Now no warranty left, Have HVAC issues, it does not start up on the first try dealer told me itís the fuel pump, which will cost 1000 bucks. I cannot believe GM would even put-out this truck and call it professional grade. What a POS. The transmission shifts terribly, the driveline is noisy with clunks and the engine has oil consumption issues. IF YOU HAVE AN LC9 alum block 5.3L AFM ENGINE OR CREW CAB CHECK THE OIL. You will need new pistons installed and an AFM oil shield after 30,000. I'm going back to a FORD F150

Overall a great truck
By EddieH on 08/07/10 07:02 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SL 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall I love this truck. I LOVE the styling, and it's very comfortable to drive. There are a few nitpicking things though, I hate the hesitation when you give it gas suddenly. I am told this is due to GM using "torque management" in their PCM tune. Ford and Dodge do not this. This is probably the only real disappointment. The others are small things like when you hit the recirculation button on the AC, then turn the AC on, it defaults back to outside air, you have to hit the recirculation button again. Drives me nuts. The mileage is about what you would expect from a truck this size and engine size. Overall, I love the truck..the quality is very good.

Great truck so far
By Jaxman on 07/17/10 05:17 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SL 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Really enjoy the overall look and comfort of this truck. The only real problem that I have had with the truck is the reoccurring "clunking" from the rear u-joint on the drive shaft. Dealer told me that GM is aware of the problem but has not issued a bulletin to properly correct it. Dealer fills it with grease and corrects the cluck for 30-60 days.

Great Truck
By keith on 03/03/10 11:03 AM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have over 33K on my truck and use it for city and long distance driving. The truck rides and drives beautifully. I have a bad back and I drove an '08 Ford F150, Toyota Tundra, and Chevy (has less comfortable seats, go figure). The GMC out drove them all. I've used it to haul everything and it does it without a problem. I have the 5.3L engine and get 16 in the city and 18 - 20 on the highway driving 8 - 9 mph over the speed limit. Problems I've had with the truck: 2 of the 4 electric door locks went bad within 18 months. Dealership replaced them all to ensure no other issues. I've had great service at two dealerships I use. I'd buy another!

What a deal!!!
By billgamble on 09/28/09 13:22 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck during the employee pricing program and got an outstanding deal. Rides like a nice car and handles great. Very comfortable.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.