Used 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Amazing work truck with 4.3
By dale

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

What a kick A## truck!! I used this truck for a whole week straight, major city driving, and merging at least 100 times on the free way. The truck is a (made in late 07) stripped down model, no ac, no power anything, no cd. 4 Guages on the dash, absolutely basic. Has the 4.3 Vortec and I am absolutely amazed with the power and handling of this base model! I mean it really gets out of its way! Merging and passing is no fuss at all, rarely goes over 3k rpm. Mileage is at 247k. Original 4L60E tranny, never rebuilt. Takes about 5 seconds to go into drive, although no slipping. Braking power is impressive. I highly recommend the 4.3. No fuel management BS no electronic junk, just an old style 4.3 (same hp as my 93 s10 lol). If your hauling an 8k lb trailer, look other ways. Towing 4-5k? NO problem!

AFM Lifter Camshaft Failure at 85K!!
By fedcr

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've always loved the way that GMC's vehicles look, feel and drive. We own a 2008 Yukon XL and love it. This 2008 Sierra Crew Cab SLT 4x4 started consuming 1 quart of oil every 2K miles without any leaks, and then the traction control light, service engine light and many others came on at 84K miles (no warranty). Took it to the dealer where I bought it, and the dealer said it is cylinder 5, camshaft and lifters need to be replaced, and it would be better for me to spend $7500 on a new engine. I skipped the dealer and called GM who agreed to cover everything above $3500. I asked the dealer if the problem with the AFM has been fixed and the dealer said they are not aware of a problem. Ridiculous. So I have a brand new engine but have no confidence in how long it will last. I'm hoping to get rid of this and buy anything other than a GM product.

Great used truck
By Hans Enz

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this truck used for my 17 year old son. Beautiful fire red . Had 57k miles on it .Got a great deal. Aside from General maintenance have put zero money into this truck. Now has over 90k and he and his band drove from California to Austin and back for South by Southwest averaged 17.5 mpg. With no issues. Still looks new when cleaned / waxed up.

Lifters lift 2 grand out of my wallet every yr!
By A. Russell

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2007 Envoy That I really love, I bought it to see if GMC would be right for us when I buy my brand new truck after graduation. Did I mention, I LOVE my Envoy? Love everything about it, except for the LIFTERS!!!! Every year we have a few replaced. Tisk, Tisk on you GM, you need to figure this problem out. It is too expensive to ignore. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GMC, BUICK, CADILLAC, or CHEVY, until GM comes clean. GM knows that this problem exists and yet cannot seem to fix it, or admit they know something is wrong with their fuel management system. Thanks for an undependable SUV that breaks down every year because GM's fuel management system is faulty, shoody, and SUPER EXPENSIVE to repair! No, never again GMC. Love my ENVOY, so mad because Yukon has been my dream truck since I was a teenager. You can keep your "fancy" looking vehicles and your literally EXPLOSIVE Hcell cars, your defective gas tanks that kill people, I do not trust you GM. I am breaking up with you, and I never want you back. You are nothing but a disappointment, a mirage of what seems to be like the perfect vehicle until you realize you were just dreaming and this mirage you bought into will cost your family two to four thousand dollars once or twice each year. Perfection is impossible, but still, you are completely the opposite and not even close. Lies + perfection=deciet. #ENDRANT

Lifters at 86k miles
By Bill S.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had numerous issues with this vehicle from speakers going out (new speakers and radio $600), pressure switch going bad twice ($789 each time), side molding falling off 6-8 times under warranty and now falling off out of warranty (have not fixed), door latches breaking driver and tailgate ($200 for each), catalytic converters needing replaced at 65,000 miles ($1500), and now I have collapsed lifters costing me thousands of dollars. The truck looks good other than it now needs major engine repair. Full synthetic oil changes every 3000-4000 miles, light hauling never beyond capacity, all maintenance kept up and serviced regularly never raced or beat on and I am the original owner. I am very disappointed in this vehicle and will never purchase another GM product again. I should not have issues like this until 200,000 miles or more are showing on that odometer with correct maintenance. I have put way too much money and time into this vehicle, cost of ownership outweighs the worth of this vehicle.