2008 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
transmission dead after 44k miles
By jms20 on 05/20/14 17:18 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new and it has been generally fine. Unfortunately the transmission self-destructed 1 month out of the 5 year warranty. I do mostly city driving and rarely tow. The dealer tried to repair it but apparently it was so bad they gave up and put in a rebuilt one. Very disappointed given I've only driven it 40k miles. The dealer was able to get some of it covered by GMC at least but I felt like they should have covered it all since the problem started before the 5yr end date.

worst truck i have ever owned.
By trucksucks1 on 03/13/14 18:06 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has 34000 miles on it. Main turn signal switch went out, Door lock switch out, Airbag sensor out, Master window switch out ($400) for a switch! Truck now will not engage the starter, so it's in the shop again. Do not buy any GMC or Chevy truck! Going back to Dodge.

Bad Transmission
By junkgmcsierra on 03/02/14 05:05 AM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

GMC will not stand behind there Trucks. My 2013 Sierra has ahard banging type clunk noise when shifting to 3rd gear sometime it feels like the powertrain is going to break. After several attemts to have it resolved including a test drive from a GM rep i have been told this is normal condition. GM bulletin # 01-07-30-042G. This truck has less than 9k miles on it.

Cracked Dash and AFM Lifters
By chuckaggie on 12/31/13 16:33 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just after the power train warranty expires my AFM lifter sticks. $3000 shop bill later and some internet research I know to watch my oil level like a hawk and never purchase another GM. Also the Massive cracks in my dash remind me of 80's GM. Its nice to see them bringing back the materials from their 80's cars. Don't buy one of these trucks. Buy new and dump them when out of warranty.

Check carefully before you buy
By txcwby on 12/27/13 03:11 AM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall, i would not buy this truck again due to repair costs. At 104,000 miles (notice it's just outside the warranty) engine heads both cracked - with the mileage and the reported issues about oil usage and AFM related issue, it makes more sense to replace with a GM crate engine than to solve part of the problem. Mileage on E85 is 14mpg in 2wd if you are an extremely light footed driver. With 87 octane, the average mpg (light foot) is 18mpg-19mpg in hilly terrain. As a cowboy and rancher, my vehicle is my lifeblood and cost of ownership and reliability is key. This truck just hasn't met the minimum expectations. Cost for new engine at GM dealer - $7,898.77

Collapsed Lifter 5.3L AFM
By ricosha3 on 10/16/13 05:59 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

There appears to be a problem with the lifters in these 5.3L AFM engines that GM won't admit. At 87K miles and 5.5 years old GM garage says lifter is collapsed & wants to replace all 16 @ $3400 & @ my expense. There are lots of posts from drivers with this problem but GM won't admit and GM Customer Service is only lip service... "out of warranty sucks to be you". GM & the dealers don't care... take my advice and buy a Ford. I'm stuck with this piece of crap cause I just paid it off and can't afford to buy another $40,000 mistake. BTW: this AFM engine is the same as in current models... beware!

me again
By jeffhall on 04/19/12 03:31 AM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

well 2008 gmc half ton 4x4 seirra. "heck i really dont know where to begin . it seems this truck looks good but i have had uncountable troble with it it has now 46914 miles and last night it was on the record being towed to the dealership becouse the locking diff engage coming out of my garssy back yard with a slight incline. and try alot of things to disingage the locking diff and i just didnt get it to disengage. anyways ..heres what ive had problems withother than what i just mentioned . flashes from under truck while driving, blinkers , tail lights fogging up, battery leaking all over the underhood side, gadges doing weird stuff, light display correctly, "ran out of space to keep typing.

Amazing truck
By boostedz06 on 11/16/11 19:57 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had been searching for a truck for a while and finally settled on this one. Picked up a used 2008 with 32000 miles and ive had it for over a month and absolutely love it. It rides sooooo smooth like a caddy and gas mileage is pretty good. Highway at 65mph is 23mpg. Toyota can't touch that. I have the 5.3. Haven't had it long enough to say how the reliability is, but i know from experience these 'Chevys' are so tough. I have the HD tow package and rear locking diff and it pulls my 20' Cobia like its not even back there... Interior is nice and tight. No rattles, no quirkiness. No engine rattle or cam bump. Sounds As if the motor is not even running. Truck is just pure quality!

Ain't what she used be
By jst0771 on 09/22/11 13:45 PM (PDT)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought in July of 08, currently have 65K on the truck. the only gripe I really have about is a major one. The powertrain. I'm not a hard driver, mileage has been mostly highway. I've had the forward sprag gear brak in the transmission, a front wheel bearing start to come apart, and now its sitting in the service department for low oil pressure. It also is down 2.5 quarts of oil with 25% life left on the monitor and no low oil level indicator. I've been told by the service department that the engine can burn a quart every 1000 to 2000 miles and be considered normal. I've reviewed several forums on the issue, and there are alot of people with with the same issue, being told the same thing.

Fit and finish
By mesalaxdad on 12/29/10 19:16 PM (PST)

2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

So I've had the truck less than a year. It has only 18k on it. I've had to replace two door lock switches. I've also replaced a leaky oil pan gasket. It's been in the dealership 3 times. When I wash it the door moldings leak for hours.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.