2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Review: Functional but boring

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Review

Functional but boring
By Keith on

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drive this vehicle for business, and typically turn a vehicle over every two years after putting on about 100,000 miles of gravel, off road and hwy driving. Past truck was 05 F150. I picked the GMC for its gas mileage which is quite good for a full sized truck, definitely better than my experiance with Ford and Dodge. Unfortunately this is the only area where the GMC exceeds the other American brands. I found the GMC has a lot more interior noise at hwy speeds than the new model F150. The GMC trailer towing capacity is clearly less than the F150, can't really put the GMC in cruise as it will rev so high. On uneven roads the GMC has so much body flex, it creaks like a covered wagon.

Gas mileage is consitently in the high teens, ( drive a lot of gravel and off road and hwy speeds typically 70- 80, no city). Exterior well finished. Interior upholestry easy to keep clean.

I appreciate any product is going to be a compromise, unfortunately the GMC compromises are obvious. In order to improve gas mileage GMC has produced an under-powered, light, noisy truck with limited comfort.