Used 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Not bad...but
By SF Agent

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new at the end of 2005. Love the exterior styling and the interior design is quite good. I bought mine loaded with everything possible. One minor problem, the transmission went out at 64000. I drive on the highway to my office and back, that's it. The truck has never pulled anything or even been in 4WD. My dealership did lobby GM and they went half on a new transmission, so I was out $1500, but got the new GM transmission with 5 year 100,000 warranty, so I guess that was ok.

Seats, instrument panel, power

Lots of trouble with transmissions in this year model, I hope the new one is of better quality.

Love my V-8 Z71 Crew Cab
By Hartwell

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Interior is roomy and very comfortable for all on long trips. I added a camper shell and roof rack. This truck can hold a ton of gear, and haul your boat, and family and still get 17 MPG. I hunt and fish in the south east so I use 4WD off road and at boat ramps, works great, easy to swich in out 2 to 4 to automatic 4WD. I compared Nissan, Toyota, Ford, and Dodge. At the time of purchase this was the best value by far at the time of purchase. I also have a superb 97 Sierra 2WD approaching 200K, I hope I get the performance and long life with this 06. Note:I had the same wheel bearing issues as others and was covered under 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty, dealer warranty service was great.

Looks great, rides great. Plenty of power. Logical easy to operate 4WD controls.

Better quality on sourcing "running gear" parts. I'm guessing the couple of bucks saved on the cheap wheel bearings was not worth it.

GMC Trucks are Junks!
By Mark Dandeneau

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SL2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB w/Sport Package (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I was a die hard GM fan until I bought this 2006 truck. I've talked to other owners of GMC and Chevy trucks and if they had it over again then would have never bought these trucks, in fact we all want to unload them because of the clunking noise and vibration when the transmission shifts. Also these trucks have problems with wheel bearing hubs and steering problems as well as u-joint going. The next vehicle I get will be a Toyota

The truck is very attractive, so when people come up to me and compliments me on the truck, I tell them the truth about it and how GM won't fix the problem.

General Motors should take care of the problems because of poor engineering on their part. It's not the customers fault that they produce a piece of junk. And I was a big GM fan until I bought this truck and they ignore the problem.

Sick Puppy
By Melvin Richardson

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The dealer had installed 20" wheels and tires on this truck and it looked good. I ask if it had the same rear end I was trading and they said " I think so" so old trusting Melvin didn't check. It turns out I got a 3.23 rear end with a 5.3 engine and oversize wheels and it drops out of overdrive to go over interstate overpasses if your speed is less than 65 MPH. Driving less than 50 mph it drops a gear if you touch the gas pedal. My wife's Toyota 4 runner drives better, just no hauling or towing capacity.

It looks good and the interior is nice with extra features most Fords and Dodges don't have. Front bucket seats are comfortable.

Engine needs more torque. Needs a transmission thats shifts a little firmer.

'06 SLE1 Crew 1500
By stevestr

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Test drove Tundra and others. Came back to GMC because of superior deal and value, including room, comfort, etc. I highly recommend this truck to anyone looking for something that is solid, reliable, and the best possible value on the market. Thanks GM, Great Job!

Roomy interior, rides really nice. Smooth shifting, great Vortec V8 power. Body Style with chrome accents, trim. Solid build, sturdy truck.

Pull-out extra cup holder trays in front and back. Cruise control should be standard on all SLE1 models and up. Extra power outlet in back seat area.