2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
2006 GMC 1500 ext-cab 4x4
By poppyseed on 10/12/12 07:29 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Initially had a few Q.C. issues with the speakers blowing, weather seal falling off, passenger arm rest detaching and the rear brake light assembly falling off, the real fun began. at 57k the tranny blew. Shortly after the transfer case failed. At 70k the drive side wheel bearing failed. 6 months later same bearing failed. At 75k the rotors replaced for 2nd time. Solenoid on gas tank replaced. Steering shaft knuckle replaced. Truck quivers and rattles over the smallest of bumps after 79k miles. Forgot to mention the rust on rocker panels, doors and wheel wells. The truck is such a lemon my kids make fun of it.

Confused by others
By T.Davis on 08/24/10 15:42 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned toyota's and nissan's and never get the mpg they or the reviews say. 2 to 3 miles less. With GM's I have seemed to get 3 to 5 miles better than reviews. That's why I say confused by others. Just got 22.6 combination downtown Nashville, TN interstate,country roads. Just bought this truck and probably will keep it for a long time. Guess my driving habits suit GM products better. This truck has 5.3, 323 gears,2wd, locking rearend and HD towing.Confort scored 8 cause stiff HD suspension (I guess). Build quality an 8 cause of interior parts a little weak. Reliability was 9 mainly cause of my past history with GM's. Haven't owned this one long enough to tell. That's my 2 cents worth.

No problems yet.
By koryharper on 07/12/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 6000 miles on it. Its first drive was from Cleveland to Fayetteville, NC. Never really noticed anything expect it lacks in acceleration. It feels like 2nd gear when taking off. When downshifting it seems to rev a little too high. other that great truck, the only problem I've had was at about 30k I got a ENGINE POWER REDUCED light but it went away when I came out of the bar. Brakes pulse a little too. But nothing major yet. I don't know why everyone else complains. "fingers crossed" If i ever switch brands it'll be because this truck does lack in the power department. Once going its awesome but not great on the low end. However 4x4 is great in tough terrain.

GMC Quality does not hold up
By Gilby40 on 09/16/09 16:36 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Truck was very good for 1st 2 years....After that I've had to replace a wiring harness that caused the 4wd to fail and now a front end hub dealer said was caused by a pot hole and or/ moisture buildup (no way! I would have remembered hitting something that hard) ...The repairs are over $900.00 so far...I fad 2 other GM trucks since '92....This is MY LAST GM anything....I can hardly wait to see what will happens when god help me I go over 50,000 miles.

I love my Sierra
By W. Oates on 02/16/09 22:07 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I traded my bullet proof Chevy for this GMC and I haven't been disappointed. I Use my truck as a daily driver and as a work vehicle. I'm in construction and my Sierra sees a lot of heavy use for a 1500 and does the work of a 2500 handily. I don't baby this truck at all and it rarely gets a bath. I love the roomy interior and power this truck gives me. ITS a V6!! It's zippy and maneuverable. Love the gas mileage and power was a trade off I thought I'd have to give on a little but I'm not let down by the 4.3 V6.

Poor Quality Truck
By Darin Peratalo on 07/30/08 09:21 AM (PDT)

This truck has been in the shop more times than my 3 other trucks total.The transmission has been out of the truck 6 different times for different problems. The front wheel bearings have been replaced. The brakes & rotors have been replaced twice. Torque converter has been replaced & still vibrates through the gas pedal at 56 mph. All in less than 46000 miles. I do not pull anything. Even GM just blew me off. I should have pushed the lemon law.

2006 GMC 1500 4X4 SLE Z71
By David Russell on 09/28/06 10:55 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Very Handsome truck. Price was very reasonable ($6,000 less than comparable Titan)Combination of performance and fuel economy very good for 4X4 large truck category (17 mpg avg.). Only two complaints too tall gearing 3.42 gears in all 4X4 trucks I looked at;thus towing is kinda difficult. Truck feels like it is in second gear when starting off. Corrected that problem with 4.10 gears. Now truck pulls hard and feels more powerful than the titan I drove, and also my dad's hemi ram. I also have a programmer intake and exhaust. The truck with 8" lift and bigger tires still runs around 7.2 seconds to sixty. Stock it could muster only 8.8 seconds to sixty. other problem no grab handle for driver.

ALMOST IMPRESSED
By Ralph on 09/07/06 13:41 PM (PDT)

It may be too soon to truly evaluate. As of now only 800 miles on it. The alternator whines. The dealer says this is normal with new pulsating alternators, there is a slight seat of your pant vibration at all speeds. Brakes pulse as if disc or drum is out of round. The overall ride is smooth and comfortable. Gas mileage is not bad for 5.3, average 16.4 city. It tows my boat as if it were not behind me. So far, so good! Just some kinks to be worked out.

Solid Truck
By Bob Hunt on 04/30/06 07:15 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE1 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Lots of research online, couple of test drives and a superb track record with my last GM product led me to this truck. Solid truck with great power and resonable fuel economy that has a cabin as comfortable and quiet as any large sedan. Guages and controls are thoughtfully laid out. Driving visibility is excellent. Responsive handling and braking. Look forward to keeping this truck for at least the next 10 years. I'd recommend the Sierra to anyone who wants a great looking and reliable truck for a good price.

Functional but boring
By Keith on 04/22/06 09:30 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drive this vehicle for business, and typically turn a vehicle over every two years after putting on about 100,000 miles of gravel, off road and hwy driving. Past truck was 05 F150. I picked the GMC for its gas mileage which is quite good for a full sized truck, definitely better than my experiance with Ford and Dodge. Unfortunately this is the only area where the GMC exceeds the other American brands. I found the GMC has a lot more interior noise at hwy speeds than the new model F150. The GMC trailer towing capacity is clearly less than the F150, can't really put the GMC in cruise as it will rev so high. On uneven roads the GMC has so much body flex, it creaks like a covered wagon.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.