Used 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

2006 GMC 1500 ext-cab 4x4
By poppyseed

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Initially had a few Q.C. issues with the speakers blowing, weather seal falling off, passenger arm rest detaching and the rear brake light assembly falling off, the real fun began. at 57k the tranny blew. Shortly after the transfer case failed. At 70k the drive side wheel bearing failed. 6 months later same bearing failed. At 75k the rotors replaced for 2nd time. Solenoid on gas tank replaced. Steering shaft knuckle replaced. Truck quivers and rattles over the smallest of bumps after 79k miles. Forgot to mention the rust on rocker panels, doors and wheel wells. The truck is such a lemon my kids make fun of it.

Would same the 5.3L V-8 but it rattles like a diesel on cold starts. Even after switching to Mobile 1 synthetic at 25k

Confused by others
By T.Davis

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned toyota's and nissan's and never get the mpg they or the reviews say. 2 to 3 miles less. With GM's I have seemed to get 3 to 5 miles better than reviews. That's why I say confused by others. Just got 22.6 combination downtown Nashville, TN interstate,country roads. Just bought this truck and probably will keep it for a long time. Guess my driving habits suit GM products better. This truck has 5.3, 323 gears,2wd, locking rearend and HD towing.Confort scored 8 cause stiff HD suspension (I guess). Build quality an 8 cause of interior parts a little weak. Reliability was 9 mainly cause of my past history with GM's. Haven't owned this one long enough to tell. That's my 2 cents worth.

Locking rear dif. Towing features.

Better quality interior parts

No problems yet.
By koryharper

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 6000 miles on it. Its first drive was from Cleveland to Fayetteville, NC. Never really noticed anything expect it lacks in acceleration. It feels like 2nd gear when taking off. When downshifting it seems to rev a little too high. other that great truck, the only problem I've had was at about 30k I got a ENGINE POWER REDUCED light but it went away when I came out of the bar. Brakes pulse a little too. But nothing major yet. I don't know why everyone else complains. "fingers crossed" If i ever switch brands it'll be because this truck does lack in the power department. Once going its awesome but not great on the low end. However 4x4 is great in tough terrain.

Bose stereo, interior although plain, solid engine, fun to go mudding in.

More power for a V8, better acceleration, Warranty

GMC Quality does not hold up
By Gilby40

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Truck was very good for 1st 2 years....After that I've had to replace a wiring harness that caused the 4wd to fail and now a front end hub dealer said was caused by a pot hole and or/ moisture buildup (no way! I would have remembered hitting something that hard) ...The repairs are over $900.00 so far...I fad 2 other GM trucks since '92....This is MY LAST GM anything....I can hardly wait to see what will happens when god help me I go over 50,000 miles.

Seating and controls very good

Build them better period!...It's already starting to cost a lot in repairs.

I love my Sierra
By W. Oates

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SL1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I traded my bullet proof Chevy for this GMC and I haven't been disappointed. I Use my truck as a daily driver and as a work vehicle. I'm in construction and my Sierra sees a lot of heavy use for a 1500 and does the work of a 2500 handily. I don't baby this truck at all and it rarely gets a bath. I love the roomy interior and power this truck gives me. ITS a V6!! It's zippy and maneuverable. Love the gas mileage and power was a trade off I thought I'd have to give on a little but I'm not let down by the 4.3 V6.

I am a big fan of most GM body styles but this is one of my favorites. It's bold and stylish. The large backseat is more than you could ask for in truck that isn't a true 4door. The tow/haul mode in the trans allows me to haul an entire kitchens worth of cabinets on a 20ft flatbed tandem axle trailer.

Offering trucks with 16'' or even 15'' wheels because the cost of 17'' tires stinks