2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
My Last GM product
By wdh2 on 02/04/12 16:16 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used with 50K miles; GMC certified + factory warranty remaining for 10K more miles. I have had lots of problems out of this truck. In less than 5 months of ownership; -the center console shorted out -the rear brakes locked up and burned up the rear-end which had to be replaced (not covered under warranty) -Lots of vibration in front end- the front end came loose from the truck and had to be re-welded -Power steering kept cutting off when turning (frayed line attributed to the front end separation) -Short in heated seats -Tail gate had to be replaced and now the new one will not open (dealer installed) -Transmission is now slipping This truck has only seen pavement

Sorry to say my last GM product
By GDBYGM on 03/24/10 01:33 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Like others my truck ran flawless for the first 15,000 or so and then the problems began. The rear drum brakes started to squeal every time you applied them, dash rattle, headliner rattle(dealer attempted to fix-rattle is back). Approximately 20k turning the steering wheel produced a weird noise(dealer tried to repair-it's back) 26k new front rotors and pads(my other vehicle has 71k with original pads if your wondering about my driving). 37k new belt tensioner and belts(squealing noise) 39k main engine seal leak(luckily repaired by GM) 41k steering link rattle(replaced link) and now "service brake system" message displayed. Thank you for stealing my $34,000 GM

knocking noise and wires
By primetime on 02/08/10 13:33 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

within the last year since I hd my sierra around 48,000 miles as I began to accelerate after I had been at a light or stop sign I am been getting a knock or a clunk as if the u joint is bad. also when I took it in for service because the engine light at 35000 miles Dealership told me it was rodent damages. This is an excuse after talking to other sierra owners it was just faulty wires that GM put on trucks. I won't buy another, after 3chevy's and a gmc I am going to ford.

Thumbs up design-Thumbs down mechanical
By tkdk on 11/10/09 09:59 AM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Saw it on the lot and fell in love with its looks.Interior roomy,laid out well very good fit and finish. Fun to drive and real head turner I maintained it 100? inside and out. Then the DARK CLOUD at 40000-60. 4 tie rods,4 front hubs 4 brake jobs,Front and rear differential rebuilt,u joints,Drive shaft out of alignment, Steering column rattling like my 2002.Went to 2 dealers and factory Rep for warranty help.SORRY!!.70000 Master cylinder and ABS started goingBrought it to dealer for trADE.GAVE ME A GREAT DEAL PLUS REBATES.What did i trade it for? 2009 .GMC Sierra Z71 Crew cab.I know I know, Last try my 3rd.Pick it up in two days PS 5Yr 100000 warranty. My problems are theirs

Built like a tank...sorta
By Ian on 02/08/09 18:12 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SL2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

It was a Nevada Edition. I picked this over a Ram & 150 because of the comfy seating and nice black dash and overall better exterior design. Pros: solid ride, Auto 4*4, tons of room, nice rims Cons: At 10K a bearing dropped and ruined the engine and was covered by warranty, little noises everywhere inside, window's not closing all the way and creating road noise. The Spec. Edition Stickers kept on falling off numerous times. Too big for city parking and such, (should have got a mid size.) Crappy speakers blow & distort. Don't think it will be good for the long run so i'll give it up for a Dakota i think. Great lease truck though.

Not bad...but
By SF Agent on 09/16/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new at the end of 2005. Love the exterior styling and the interior design is quite good. I bought mine loaded with everything possible. One minor problem, the transmission went out at 64000. I drive on the highway to my office and back, that's it. The truck has never pulled anything or even been in 4WD. My dealership did lobby GM and they went half on a new transmission, so I was out $1500, but got the new GM transmission with 5 year 100,000 warranty, so I guess that was ok.

Love my V-8 Z71 Crew Cab
By Hartwell on 09/09/08 08:53 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Interior is roomy and very comfortable for all on long trips. I added a camper shell and roof rack. This truck can hold a ton of gear, and haul your boat, and family and still get 17 MPG. I hunt and fish in the south east so I use 4WD off road and at boat ramps, works great, easy to swich in out 2 to 4 to automatic 4WD. I compared Nissan, Toyota, Ford, and Dodge. At the time of purchase this was the best value by far at the time of purchase. I also have a superb 97 Sierra 2WD approaching 200K, I hope I get the performance and long life with this 06. Note:I had the same wheel bearing issues as others and was covered under 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty, dealer warranty service was great.

GMC Trucks are Junks!
By Mark Dandeneau on 08/10/07 15:15 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SL2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB w/Sport Package (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I was a die hard GM fan until I bought this 2006 truck. I've talked to other owners of GMC and Chevy trucks and if they had it over again then would have never bought these trucks, in fact we all want to unload them because of the clunking noise and vibration when the transmission shifts. Also these trucks have problems with wheel bearing hubs and steering problems as well as u-joint going. The next vehicle I get will be a Toyota

Sick Puppy
By Melvin Richardson on 12/01/06 17:29 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The dealer had installed 20" wheels and tires on this truck and it looked good. I ask if it had the same rear end I was trading and they said " I think so" so old trusting Melvin didn't check. It turns out I got a 3.23 rear end with a 5.3 engine and oversize wheels and it drops out of overdrive to go over interstate overpasses if your speed is less than 65 MPH. Driving less than 50 mph it drops a gear if you touch the gas pedal. My wife's Toyota 4 runner drives better, just no hauling or towing capacity.

'06 SLE1 Crew 1500
By stevestr on 09/24/06 20:58 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Test drove Tundra and others. Came back to GMC because of superior deal and value, including room, comfort, etc. I highly recommend this truck to anyone looking for something that is solid, reliable, and the best possible value on the market. Thanks GM, Great Job!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.