2006 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
2006 GMC 1500 ext-cab 4x4
By poppyseed on 10/12/12 07:29 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SL1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Initially had a few Q.C. issues with the speakers blowing, weather seal falling off, passenger arm rest detaching and the rear brake light assembly falling off, the real fun began. at 57k the tranny blew. Shortly after the transfer case failed. At 70k the drive side wheel bearing failed. 6 months later same bearing failed. At 75k the rotors replaced for 2nd time. Solenoid on gas tank replaced. Steering shaft knuckle replaced. Truck quivers and rattles over the smallest of bumps after 79k miles. Forgot to mention the rust on rocker panels, doors and wheel wells. The truck is such a lemon my kids make fun of it.

My Last GM product
By wdh2 on 02/04/12 16:16 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used with 50K miles; GMC certified + factory warranty remaining for 10K more miles. I have had lots of problems out of this truck. In less than 5 months of ownership; -the center console shorted out -the rear brakes locked up and burned up the rear-end which had to be replaced (not covered under warranty) -Lots of vibration in front end- the front end came loose from the truck and had to be re-welded -Power steering kept cutting off when turning (frayed line attributed to the front end separation) -Short in heated seats -Tail gate had to be replaced and now the new one will not open (dealer installed) -Transmission is now slipping This truck has only seen pavement

Confused by others
By T.Davis on 08/24/10 15:42 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned toyota's and nissan's and never get the mpg they or the reviews say. 2 to 3 miles less. With GM's I have seemed to get 3 to 5 miles better than reviews. That's why I say confused by others. Just got 22.6 combination downtown Nashville, TN interstate,country roads. Just bought this truck and probably will keep it for a long time. Guess my driving habits suit GM products better. This truck has 5.3, 323 gears,2wd, locking rearend and HD towing.Confort scored 8 cause stiff HD suspension (I guess). Build quality an 8 cause of interior parts a little weak. Reliability was 9 mainly cause of my past history with GM's. Haven't owned this one long enough to tell. That's my 2 cents worth.

No problems yet.
By koryharper on 07/12/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 6000 miles on it. Its first drive was from Cleveland to Fayetteville, NC. Never really noticed anything expect it lacks in acceleration. It feels like 2nd gear when taking off. When downshifting it seems to rev a little too high. other that great truck, the only problem I've had was at about 30k I got a ENGINE POWER REDUCED light but it went away when I came out of the bar. Brakes pulse a little too. But nothing major yet. I don't know why everyone else complains. "fingers crossed" If i ever switch brands it'll be because this truck does lack in the power department. Once going its awesome but not great on the low end. However 4x4 is great in tough terrain.

After 70,000 have only had one problem
By ~CRASH~ on 05/20/10 01:14 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck, its mainly a work truck but I put more miles on it than any of the other trucks. Yeah after about 15,000 miles dash started rattling but till after 70,000 miles it's been loyal and I beat the hell out of this truck i.e. racing, fish tailing around corners, bad terrain. And so far the tranny dumped out on acceleration at 50 mph. Rebuild was 850. So no bad review here.

Sorry to say my last GM product
By GDBYGM on 03/24/10 01:33 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Like others my truck ran flawless for the first 15,000 or so and then the problems began. The rear drum brakes started to squeal every time you applied them, dash rattle, headliner rattle(dealer attempted to fix-rattle is back). Approximately 20k turning the steering wheel produced a weird noise(dealer tried to repair-it's back) 26k new front rotors and pads(my other vehicle has 71k with original pads if your wondering about my driving). 37k new belt tensioner and belts(squealing noise) 39k main engine seal leak(luckily repaired by GM) 41k steering link rattle(replaced link) and now "service brake system" message displayed. Thank you for stealing my $34,000 GM

knocking noise and wires
By primetime on 02/08/10 13:33 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

within the last year since I hd my sierra around 48,000 miles as I began to accelerate after I had been at a light or stop sign I am been getting a knock or a clunk as if the u joint is bad. also when I took it in for service because the engine light at 35000 miles Dealership told me it was rodent damages. This is an excuse after talking to other sierra owners it was just faulty wires that GM put on trucks. I won't buy another, after 3chevy's and a gmc I am going to ford.

Thumbs up design-Thumbs down mechanical
By tkdk on 11/10/09 09:59 AM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Saw it on the lot and fell in love with its looks.Interior roomy,laid out well very good fit and finish. Fun to drive and real head turner I maintained it 100? inside and out. Then the DARK CLOUD at 40000-60. 4 tie rods,4 front hubs 4 brake jobs,Front and rear differential rebuilt,u joints,Drive shaft out of alignment, Steering column rattling like my 2002.Went to 2 dealers and factory Rep for warranty help.SORRY!!.70000 Master cylinder and ABS started goingBrought it to dealer for trADE.GAVE ME A GREAT DEAL PLUS REBATES.What did i trade it for? 2009 .GMC Sierra Z71 Crew cab.I know I know, Last try my 3rd.Pick it up in two days PS 5Yr 100000 warranty. My problems are theirs

GMC Quality does not hold up
By Gilby40 on 09/16/09 16:36 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Truck was very good for 1st 2 years....After that I've had to replace a wiring harness that caused the 4wd to fail and now a front end hub dealer said was caused by a pot hole and or/ moisture buildup (no way! I would have remembered hitting something that hard) ...The repairs are over $900.00 so far...I fad 2 other GM trucks since '92....This is MY LAST GM anything....I can hardly wait to see what will happens when god help me I go over 50,000 miles.

I love my Sierra
By W. Oates on 02/16/09 22:07 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SL1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I traded my bullet proof Chevy for this GMC and I haven't been disappointed. I Use my truck as a daily driver and as a work vehicle. I'm in construction and my Sierra sees a lot of heavy use for a 1500 and does the work of a 2500 handily. I don't baby this truck at all and it rarely gets a bath. I love the roomy interior and power this truck gives me. ITS a V6!! It's zippy and maneuverable. Love the gas mileage and power was a trade off I thought I'd have to give on a little but I'm not let down by the 4.3 V6.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.