Used 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

2006 GMC 1500 ext-cab 4x4
By poppyseed

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SL1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Initially had a few Q.C. issues with the speakers blowing, weather seal falling off, passenger arm rest detaching and the rear brake light assembly falling off, the real fun began. at 57k the tranny blew. Shortly after the transfer case failed. At 70k the drive side wheel bearing failed. 6 months later same bearing failed. At 75k the rotors replaced for 2nd time. Solenoid on gas tank replaced. Steering shaft knuckle replaced. Truck quivers and rattles over the smallest of bumps after 79k miles. Forgot to mention the rust on rocker panels, doors and wheel wells. The truck is such a lemon my kids make fun of it.

Favorite Features

Would same the 5.3L V-8 but it rattles like a diesel on cold starts. Even after switching to Mobile 1 synthetic at 25k

My Last GM product
By wdh2

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used with 50K miles; GMC certified + factory warranty remaining for 10K more miles. I have had lots of problems out of this truck. In less than 5 months of ownership; -the center console shorted out -the rear brakes locked up and burned up the rear-end which had to be replaced (not covered under warranty) -Lots of vibration in front end- the front end came loose from the truck and had to be re-welded -Power steering kept cutting off when turning (frayed line attributed to the front end separation) -Short in heated seats -Tail gate had to be replaced and now the new one will not open (dealer installed) -Transmission is now slipping This truck has only seen pavement

Favorite Features

Gas mileage Good ride...when the front end is not coming loose

Suggested Improvements

Buy something else

Confused by others
By T.Davis

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned toyota's and nissan's and never get the mpg they or the reviews say. 2 to 3 miles less. With GM's I have seemed to get 3 to 5 miles better than reviews. That's why I say confused by others. Just got 22.6 combination downtown Nashville, TN interstate,country roads. Just bought this truck and probably will keep it for a long time. Guess my driving habits suit GM products better. This truck has 5.3, 323 gears,2wd, locking rearend and HD towing.Confort scored 8 cause stiff HD suspension (I guess). Build quality an 8 cause of interior parts a little weak. Reliability was 9 mainly cause of my past history with GM's. Haven't owned this one long enough to tell. That's my 2 cents worth.

Favorite Features

Locking rear dif. Towing features.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior parts

No problems yet.
By koryharper

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 6000 miles on it. Its first drive was from Cleveland to Fayetteville, NC. Never really noticed anything expect it lacks in acceleration. It feels like 2nd gear when taking off. When downshifting it seems to rev a little too high. other that great truck, the only problem I've had was at about 30k I got a ENGINE POWER REDUCED light but it went away when I came out of the bar. Brakes pulse a little too. But nothing major yet. I don't know why everyone else complains. "fingers crossed" If i ever switch brands it'll be because this truck does lack in the power department. Once going its awesome but not great on the low end. However 4x4 is great in tough terrain.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, interior although plain, solid engine, fun to go mudding in.

Suggested Improvements

More power for a V8, better acceleration, Warranty

After 70,000 have only had one problem
By ~CRASH~

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck, its mainly a work truck but I put more miles on it than any of the other trucks. Yeah after about 15,000 miles dash started rattling but till after 70,000 miles it's been loyal and I beat the hell out of this truck i.e. racing, fish tailing around corners, bad terrain. And so far the tranny dumped out on acceleration at 50 mph. Rebuild was 850. So no bad review here.

Favorite Features

5.3 L v8 flex fuel motor.

Suggested Improvements

disk breaks all the way around, center seat needs to fold down, needs a better transmission cooler.