Opinionated Mechanic
By Branden on
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
Performance is important to me. The engine pulls hard at higher RPM but lacks low end torque. I have a 3.42 rear gear ratio. If you're using the truck for trips and highway use, thats a perfect ratio. If you want to do towing or be quick between red lights I would get a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio to make up for the lack in low end power. The transmission performs Okay if you're looking for smooth shifts. I prefer a firm shift which you don't get, even in the towing mode. Towing mode just runs out each gear to a higher RPM. Which is good for towing. They advertise a locking differential. Its not a true locker like GM and Ford used in muscle cars. This unit sends power to the wheel with the most traction.
Favorite Features
Accurate gauges with numbers. I hate Ford gauges,cold-hot ,low-high. Bose stereo sounds good for a factory radio. Grease fittings, you can grease the steering linkage and ball joints. If you work on cars you know why its important. The full four doors. Plenty of rear seat room. Heated mirrors.
Suggested Improvements
Intermediate steering shaft. They should have fixed it by now. External transmission coolers should be standard. The durability of the plastic chrome on the grill, This is a problem on GM,Ford and Dodge. It starts to fade and stain. Firmer shift in towing mode. Factory tailgate lock, Ford has one.