One Sweet truck !
By Patrick Carney on
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
I love this truck. I use this as an all around truck, and it is perfect for a medium weight trailer. I towed a Kubota back hoe, front end loader on a heavy duty twin axle rental trailer, and you could feel the weight kick you around. My buddy owns the same truck, and he installed air bags in the rear suspension and it greatly improved the trailer handling. Most of my driving is city mileage and short trips. Mileage is 14.2mpg for cit driving. On a long trip, with no added weight, I averaged 23.5 to 24 Mpg at 70 mph. I wasn't really impressed with its take off or low end torque, but I have to say that unloaded its power is deceiving. It's so smooth in its power delivery, but watch the speedo rocket .
Favorite Features
The ride is awesome! Sweet motor, great passing power. Good mileage for a truck. Get the Bose audio if you like music, Mine sounds like a recording studio. It's quiet in the cab while driving. On wet/slick roads its traction is impecable. It's hard to kick the rear end around.
Suggested Improvements
Larger cup holders for the larger than normal coffee mugs. I wish the fog lights would stay on when the high beams were on just for the added visibility in total darkness. But it does have great lights at night. Increase the low end torque a bit for getting a heavy trailer moving from a dead stop.