2005 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic 5.7 ft. Bed Consumer Review - Mostly electrical problems

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Review

SLT Crew Cab Pickup (5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic 5.7 ft. Bed)

Mostly electrical problems
By Dennis Brooks on

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in 2005, have put 67k miles on it in 5 years. This is a very comfortable truck. I took it on many 300 mile trips without a rest stop, feeling like I had only driven to town. However the many electrical problems has me wondering about the quality of gmc. Less than 5k the instrument display showed "electrical malfunction". The dealership repaired and did not give me reason. Other problems are evap solenoid, power door lock, brake master cylinder, bumping in steering column, 4wd transfer case switch, speedometer would go to 0, seat heater shorted out, headlights and dash lights flicker anytime you hit brakes or use Windows. The dealer gave an extra 2 yr warr for free due to the issues

Favorite Features

Good looking truck, the most comfortable truck I have ever owned. The cab controls with duel climate and rear seat radio controls are a life saver while traveling with wife and teenage daughter. Love the steering wheel access buttons. The Bose sound system is the best factory system I have heard.

Suggested Improvements

Some friends have similar trucks with some of the same elec issues. Do some research and fix this crap before putting a msrp of 39,000 on the door glass.