Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Lovin every minute of it
By gmctech

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Love this rig. I am a GM technician and have a great love for the GM trucks. Love the style and the right amount of chrome. Never let me down yet. I live in the maritimes in Canada and love the flawless 4wd system and my truck auto 4wd mode. Fuel mileage is OK, but could be better. Very quiet ride but could use some better quality to rectify the little body creaks, rattles, and squeaks.

Great, but in need of some perf options
By David

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Highest quality of any GM pickup I've ever owned ('74, '87, '89, '92). Not a rattle/buzz anywhere. HO 5.3L runs better than the 454 in that '74 shortbed 2wd, though I've had the PCM custom tuned and running 4.10 gears. I also changed the OEM alloys with 265/70's for 20x9.5" & 305/50 Avons. Handling astonishingly improved and quieter!

Good motor (L33), extended cab with plenty of room for average-sized adults, comfortable/convenient cloth 60/40 bench up front, no more 4wd floor lever.

Premium Bilstein shocks with better damping should be included as in former Z71's, and rack/pinion steering. Need HO 6.0L option for more power. 3.73/4.10 gears should be options on extd cab as on std cabs.

Good truck!!
By steve b

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck after driving the Ford, Dodge and Chevy. I had a trade and the dealer offered me the best deal. The P rated tires that came standard with the Z-71 package were junk, so I spent a few more bucks and got the same size 17" BFG's. That dropped the mileage from 22-23-to 18-20 depending on speed but the reliability is much better. The auto transmission does seem weird at times but the all aluminum block V8 with the higher H/P is just fantastic.Overall the trans is good. I tow a light weight camp trailer and I forget it's behind me. No problems so far. 12,000 miles through all kinds of weather. For the money, best truck I ever owned and I have had a few. Good looking truck..

Steering wheel controls for the XM radio Heated mirrors and r.window. Seats are very comfortable..interior lighting Towing package.. Standard 2 tone paint and wheel flares, 17" Aluminum wheels are a nice touch. Standard fog lamps, power dr. seat and decent leather/cloth upholstery are good.

Better tires with the off-road package..Bigger and better constructed console with the bench seat. Better F&R floor mats. Bigger glove box. Remote starter would be great..XM antenna on the roof of the truck is very ugly..seems like that could be better designed. Paint quality could be improved.

This truck you can take to the opera!
By lastchanceblogger

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Amazing truck. It has outstanding acceleration, and the SLT package with OnStar makes it feel like a Cadillac, not a truck. This truck serves two purposes: you can haul drywall, and you can go to the country club.

I love the driver information center and the turn signal indicators in the mirrors. The retracting rear view mirrors are very handy. I love the dual A/C-Heat controls, and the heated leather seats are good for my back problems, too.

I wish it had shipped with a bedliner. Other than that, the only improvements would be with the dealer's poor job of dealer prep and a rushed vehicle delivery. From a drivetrain point of view, I love the power, but I wish the suspension was a bit stiffer.

2005 GMC Sierra
By ALLEN AIKENS JR.

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. The quality, reliability. A very comfortable truck to drive. Also my 9yr old daughter loves the back seat. This truck has great power. The Chevy and the GMC are very close but the front end of the GMC just blows me away, I love the front end. One negative, the gas mileage is around 13 mpg, but I still have my 92 Chevy S-10 2 to offset the low gas mileage

The front end and sunroof

Gas mileage and wind noise