Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Great Truck.
By Golf26guy`

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very comfortable truck. I'm a sales manager and I drive over 45k miles a year. Seats are great, good gas mileage for a fullsize V 8 truck. I recently made a trip from Atlanta to Houston pulling a small trailer with a 4 wheeler in it, did not meet my expectations for pulling, keeps downshifting.

XM radio, Bose, comfort of seats.

Does not pull very well.

Love my truck
By Wingman

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I switched from a Ford F150 to my GMC, and I love the GMC. I do wish the bed was longer.

Capatains chairs, Satellite radio, OnStar, rear seat radio controls, and fold down rear seats.

Make the bed longer.

Happy so far
By Tom is Happy

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck so far.. 7 months old no problems yet. Added an ARE cap over bed and love it, got the Suburban look minus the $15,000 difference in price. Fits the car seats easily and the adults even easier. Haven't done a long trip yet but Summer is aproaching and a looking forward to the drive. (Even if the gas costs $4.00 per gal.) Wish I could get better gas mileage but it's a full size truck not a Honda CRV, which is easy to remember when I load it to the hilt , shopping or constructing, get it all in. Only things added was remote starter and sliding rear window (vital) which were negotiated during sale.

Got a base model crew with tow package. This was a rare find, didn't need all the bells and whistles. Big difference in price from the rigs with stuff I don't need. Can always add stuff through after market, e-bay great source for that. Fog lights at dealer $400, e-bay do it yourself in 2 hours $150

Back seat has elevated road noise levels, not sure if this is due to the cap, can't remember how it was before.

Not good for towing
By Mike

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have you ever wondered why GM truck owners have to turn their hitches upside down. Even with Z-71, the suspension and trailering provisions are too soft and too low. Also the standard rear-end is going to be a 3.42. Great for milage, not so good for loading. Even with the 5.3 the engineers have turned up the computer trying to hide the small rear end. Posi-trac, not so good. One slick boat ramp and you will glad for 4WD. Even empty on the highway using cruise, the drivetrain cannot maintain enough power on hills to keep from down shifting and raising the RPMs. I pull three trailers ranging from 900 to 5100 pounds. All will wag this truck around easily. Brakes/rotors are on 3rd set.

Ride and comfort are exceptional. Road noise is minimal fro this size vehicle. XM radio is great and I love on-star. Big back seat handles car seat very well. Latch system is on all three places. Set the cruise on 64mph and long trips and 22mpg is not unheard of. Everything is a trade-off

Sealed grease fittings, better brakes, I don't tow that often but I have replaced front rotors at 12k and pads twice. Oil leaks at the drain plug. More power less mpg. Better trailering suspension for towing, stiffer ride. Body panels feel flimsey, especialy front fender around hood & rear fender.

'05 GMC SLT Crew Cab
By Bob

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am handicapped and this truck is very easy for me to operate. Everything is in clear reach, no need for any modifications. My wife, grand- daughter and I took a trip from Texas to Florida after buying the truck with no issues. Gas mileage is fantastic.

Power & heated seats, 6-disc in-dash stereo w/Bose speakers, very roomy interior, very comfortable ride.

4-wheel disc brakes, more power for the 5.3 liter engine and a little bit dressier interior for the SLT.