2005 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Bad experience
By Frank Leslie on 10/28/06 14:28 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Intermediate steering shaft made noises, steering rack had to be replaced. A/C will not work on inside air setting. Other than this, the vehicle is pretty good.

Great Truck.
By Golf26guy` on 09/28/06 19:12 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very comfortable truck. I'm a sales manager and I drive over 45k miles a year. Seats are great, good gas mileage for a fullsize V 8 truck. I recently made a trip from Atlanta to Houston pulling a small trailer with a 4 wheeler in it, did not meet my expectations for pulling, keeps downshifting.

Love my truck
By Wingman on 08/05/06 16:20 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I switched from a Ford F150 to my GMC, and I love the GMC. I do wish the bed was longer.

If it onlly could turn better!!
By Rich M on 07/27/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is as comfortable as any car I have owned. It has decent gas mileage and enough power for most needs (5.3L).

Happy so far
By Tom is Happy on 05/04/06 15:03 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck so far.. 7 months old no problems yet. Added an ARE cap over bed and love it, got the Suburban look minus the $15,000 difference in price. Fits the car seats easily and the adults even easier. Haven't done a long trip yet but Summer is aproaching and a looking forward to the drive. (Even if the gas costs $4.00 per gal.) Wish I could get better gas mileage but it's a full size truck not a Honda CRV, which is easy to remember when I load it to the hilt , shopping or constructing, get it all in. Only things added was remote starter and sliding rear window (vital) which were negotiated during sale.

Not good for towing
By Mike on 03/11/06 18:01 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have you ever wondered why GM truck owners have to turn their hitches upside down. Even with Z-71, the suspension and trailering provisions are too soft and too low. Also the standard rear-end is going to be a 3.42. Great for milage, not so good for loading. Even with the 5.3 the engineers have turned up the computer trying to hide the small rear end. Posi-trac, not so good. One slick boat ramp and you will glad for 4WD. Even empty on the highway using cruise, the drivetrain cannot maintain enough power on hills to keep from down shifting and raising the RPMs. I pull three trailers ranging from 900 to 5100 pounds. All will wag this truck around easily. Brakes/rotors are on 3rd set.

'05 GMC SLT Crew Cab
By Bob on 02/04/06 19:50 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am handicapped and this truck is very easy for me to operate. Everything is in clear reach, no need for any modifications. My wife, grand- daughter and I took a trip from Texas to Florida after buying the truck with no issues. Gas mileage is fantastic.

Lovin every minute of it
By gmctech on 01/18/06 23:00 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Love this rig. I am a GM technician and have a great love for the GM trucks. Love the style and the right amount of chrome. Never let me down yet. I live in the maritimes in Canada and love the flawless 4wd system and my truck auto 4wd mode. Fuel mileage is OK, but could be better. Very quiet ride but could use some better quality to rectify the little body creaks, rattles, and squeaks.

Opinionated Mechanic
By Branden on 01/11/06 13:09 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Performance is important to me. The engine pulls hard at higher RPM but lacks low end torque. I have a 3.42 rear gear ratio. If you're using the truck for trips and highway use, thats a perfect ratio. If you want to do towing or be quick between red lights I would get a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio to make up for the lack in low end power. The transmission performs Okay if you're looking for smooth shifts. I prefer a firm shift which you don't get, even in the towing mode. Towing mode just runs out each gear to a higher RPM. Which is good for towing. They advertise a locking differential. Its not a true locker like GM and Ford used in muscle cars. This unit sends power to the wheel with the most traction.

My first truck
By kevin on 01/10/06 17:46 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE Hybrid Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Not a true hybrid, around 17.5 mpg. Great power. Handles well and I fit nicely inside- I am 6 foot 9. Nice Bose speaker system too. I easily adjusted to the engine that turns off at stops (a slight delay between brake release and engine power for acceleration)