Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Mostly Happy
By RMcGee

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

As soon as I saw this vehicle I loved it. Victory Red w/ GMC 20" wheels. I am on my 3rd year and just under 36k miles. I have pulled my 22' boat to the Ozarks which is around 300 miles each way through some hilly country. The truck shifts down a lot to keep up the RPM's. The interior seems a little on the cheap side & reminds me of some Mattel toys I had as a kid. I did have the intermediate shaft in the steering fixed at 25k miles. Now that my warranty is up my check engine light is on and I guess the vaccum canister needs replaced which is $500(for plastic). Overall I love the truck and use it for everything from towing to hauling. I just wish the standard warranty was 100k.

Dual climate control. Digital readout info on the radio tells the artist and the song name. Good fuel economy and a smooth ride for a 4WD.

Longer std. warranty. Higher quality interior pieces. Better painting process on plastic parts. The paint on the plastic below the chrome on my front bumper is pealing off bad. Heard from a ex-GM body man this is common.

Will Never own anything but GMC
By Steve

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This 2005 Pickup is my 3rd GMC pickup I have owned and I have never had any issues at all with all of them. This 2005 is probably the best one yet, It's rugged, tough, stirdy. Drives like a real truck. Stay true GMC your pickups are the best.

Too many to list, but to list a few. The message center. Power of the 5.3. Pickup power. The way it handles. Brakes are smooth, OnStar, Bose stereo.

Heighten the height. They should come from the factory with a spray on bedliner, or just a regular bedliner as standard option

I wish I bought a Dodge
By joe

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Was a decent truck when I bought it. But it wouldn't tow worth a dang, piston slap, horrible trans, creaks, squeaks, parts breaking, clunking from steering shaft, burnout lights, sound system, tires, brakes, and so much more wrong with it. My 2nd gm and last. I'm buying a Dodge.

Umm good question

Let someone else build it. make Z71 a real off road package. Solid front axle. Everything needs work.

2005 hd review
By Roger

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck, has served well in snowy to over 100 temps. Have hauled trailers and 10000 pounds of hay with no problems, using t/h switch is very good as it lowers tranny temp. 53 k miles with 0 problems. avergage mileage is 13.2. Not bad for a 9600 GVW rating with 410 axle. Hauls 3000 pounds of block in bed with no problems.

Like the thermometer, heated seats, and comforts. Towing switch

Put more aggresive tires from factory. Tires it came with were more for highway, put and open shoulder tire to clean out mud and snow better. Other than that been a great truck.

Bad experience
By Frank Leslie

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Intermediate steering shaft made noises, steering rack had to be replaced. A/C will not work on inside air setting. Other than this, the vehicle is pretty good.

OnStar. Computer that tells you miles per gallon.

Make the items I noted in the review not need repairs so soon. I have spoken to others with the same truck and they have the same problems.