2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Great Truck.
By Golf26guy` on 09/28/06 19:12 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very comfortable truck. I'm a sales manager and I drive over 45k miles a year. Seats are great, good gas mileage for a fullsize V 8 truck. I recently made a trip from Atlanta to Houston pulling a small trailer with a 4 wheeler in it, did not meet my expectations for pulling, keeps downshifting.

Love my truck
By Wingman on 08/05/06 16:20 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I switched from a Ford F150 to my GMC, and I love the GMC. I do wish the bed was longer.

Happy so far
By Tom is Happy on 05/04/06 15:03 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck so far.. 7 months old no problems yet. Added an ARE cap over bed and love it, got the Suburban look minus the $15,000 difference in price. Fits the car seats easily and the adults even easier. Haven't done a long trip yet but Summer is aproaching and a looking forward to the drive. (Even if the gas costs $4.00 per gal.) Wish I could get better gas mileage but it's a full size truck not a Honda CRV, which is easy to remember when I load it to the hilt , shopping or constructing, get it all in. Only things added was remote starter and sliding rear window (vital) which were negotiated during sale.

Not good for towing
By Mike on 03/11/06 18:01 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have you ever wondered why GM truck owners have to turn their hitches upside down. Even with Z-71, the suspension and trailering provisions are too soft and too low. Also the standard rear-end is going to be a 3.42. Great for milage, not so good for loading. Even with the 5.3 the engineers have turned up the computer trying to hide the small rear end. Posi-trac, not so good. One slick boat ramp and you will glad for 4WD. Even empty on the highway using cruise, the drivetrain cannot maintain enough power on hills to keep from down shifting and raising the RPMs. I pull three trailers ranging from 900 to 5100 pounds. All will wag this truck around easily. Brakes/rotors are on 3rd set.

'05 GMC SLT Crew Cab
By Bob on 02/04/06 19:50 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am handicapped and this truck is very easy for me to operate. Everything is in clear reach, no need for any modifications. My wife, grand- daughter and I took a trip from Texas to Florida after buying the truck with no issues. Gas mileage is fantastic.

Opinionated Mechanic
By Branden on 01/11/06 13:09 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Performance is important to me. The engine pulls hard at higher RPM but lacks low end torque. I have a 3.42 rear gear ratio. If you're using the truck for trips and highway use, thats a perfect ratio. If you want to do towing or be quick between red lights I would get a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio to make up for the lack in low end power. The transmission performs Okay if you're looking for smooth shifts. I prefer a firm shift which you don't get, even in the towing mode. Towing mode just runs out each gear to a higher RPM. Which is good for towing. They advertise a locking differential. Its not a true locker like GM and Ford used in muscle cars. This unit sends power to the wheel with the most traction.

Fine Truck
By Myran on 12/29/05 23:57 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love getting into my GMC. It is well built. It is comfortable to the people in the back seat, and it is nicely appointed.

Not quite professional grade
By Brian on 11/09/05 22:43 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Doors/cab seals are too tight, shouldn't have to slam the door. Only 18 mpg, not the 20 as the window sticker says. I get better gas mileage from my '98 Suburban. Knock in the steering. AC vent door noise. Front windshield not sealed correctly. Cheap radio and even cheaper speakers sound terrible. Very uncomfortable driver seat- No adjustments. Fuse box in the way of your left foot. Very disappointed in the engineering and material quality. Very little thought went into designing this truck, only profit. The whole truck is fake, proven by the fake chrome rims. I bought this truck planning to keep it 10+ years, now I can't wait to get rid of it, ASAP.

Dead Reliable
By Dennis on 10/14/05 12:47 PM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th new GMC full size. They are more reliable than the 3 new Mercedes automobiles I have also owned. Comfortable seats...easy highway cruiser. The 6000 engine is great, but loves gas!

Denali Hauls!
By Black Magic on 07/18/05 01:13 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven about 2200 miles in the first month. Half of the miles are towing a 5,500 lb. ski/wakeboard boat. This truck is incredible for towing. The AWD never spins on the ramp or backing up my 13% driveway with the boat. Loaded, the ride is excellent. Unloaded, it is a little choppy compared to my previous Yukon Denali XL. But, hey it's a truck. Mileage is better than my '01 DXL at 14mpg average. Again, it's a 345HP truck, it's for hauling. Great truck. Unloaded, this thing is fast for a truck and fun to drive. No problems so far.