Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

No More GM 4 me
By LostFaithGM

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new and totally disappointed. Truck now has over 104k miles and here is list of repair. Passenger hub replaced under warranty and driver hub replaced at 76k. Trans rebuild 75k. Torque converter replaced @ 83k. Power steering has been terrible since 30k. Front diff passenger seal leaks since under warranty and driver front diff seal leaked at 101k. Now water pump gasket leak @ 103k. U-joint at T-case & drive shaft replaced at 86k. Interior makes noises and this is considered normal. Noisy cab when cruising at over 45 miles. Rust is everywhere on the chassis. My last GM light duty truck

To be honest I bought the truck because of the price. I got a great deal on it. But I guess I got what I payed for.

4 L 60E tranny is to small for truck. Should of had a 4L80E tranny. So many 4 L 60 trannys are getting rebuild way before necessary. In my case the 3-4 clutch went out so no 3 or 4. No hard driving or neutral drops damaged this tranny. Very bad design. GM uses this tranny on Colorado, Trailblazer.

2nd GM truck
By Jonathan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started with a 99 Chevy Z71 that I drove 200k miles and beyond it's last leg so I traded it in for this GMC Crew 2WD with the 5.3 L. I was disappointed with the extended travel in the front suspension and huge turn radius. It's great on long trips for comfort, but gas mileage averages around 14 in the city and 16 on the highway. It feels real solid until you tow ANYTHING more than 500 #'s, it struggles over 55 mph with shifting a lot, due to lack of torque. The steering pops and clunks like my 99' did, the same for the rear-end chirp on start/stops. Bad design still being used from 99, that's just annoying. I like the comfort and prefer cloth over leather on long trips and in hot Texas.

Full center console with rear seat radio controls. Comfortable bucket seats, steering wheel controls. Dependable up to 160k miles for the gas version.

Reduce front end suspension travel. Lights in the steering wheel that don't fail quickly. Sound deadening on the back of the cheap plastic parts. Fiberglass tonneau from the factory and standard spray bedliner. A cable remote un-locking gas door, like an import. Power roll-down defrosting back window.

05 GMC EXT CAB SLT Z-71
By Lee

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this certified used truck with 52,000 on it the black exterior and gray leather were spotless and everything works as new from heated seats, xm radio, on star etc. I have added a lot of aftermarket chrome parts and a dual cat back system, K&N intake and Hyperteck programmer. I've been thinking of brighter headlights Silverstone, and it'll be a keeper with the 100,000 mile extended warranty the 5.3 is working just fine so far and next oil change will be Mobil 1 at 5000 mile interval will report problems when they start so far so good.

driving position

better heat/ac controls, shorter turning radius.

Greta truck
By Alan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck. One person wrote that his wouldn't tow, but he had the 6 cylinder. Why someone would not buy a V8 for towing is beyond me. My 5.3 has been flawless and I often tow a boat, motor, and trailer weighing 7000 lb and the G38 locking differential has allowed me to get up any boat ramp. I added a K&N cold air intake and Gibson cat back exhaust and get 22 MPG on the interstate and and 28 at 55 MPH.

Power, fuel economy, looks, features, and interior room. Bose stereo with rear controls is a nice touch.

2005 1500 GMC Extended Cab
By Orlean

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Except for the early tranny issue and the noise coming from my steering column, this truck has been spectacular! Thanks to a personal mechanic who was a GM mechanic, the steering column has become a non-issue. And, the dealership took GREAT care of the tranny issue. 140,000 miles into it and I STILL love this truck! I've driven it to/from CA and TX several times, in both winter and summer, and it's served me VERY well! MPG has deteriorated over the years, but that's to be expected. Started at 17MPG and now at 15! I miss that extra 2MPG!

Better fuel economy and I would've given this truck a HUGE endorsement.