Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Gmc Sierra-1500 - Consumer Reviews

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Needed work but worth it.
By murrayst45

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this in fall of 2007 with 60 thousand miles. Pumped a lot more money into it than I thought I would have to, to start out. Wheel hub bearings on both sides. Tie Rod ends. Ball joints. Air conditioner blower motor. u joints. Overhauled front brakes and rotors. This was over a course over 60 thousand more miles I have pumped into it. 122k on it now. I really do like this truck though, I do not pull very much and I love the feel behind the wheel. If it was 4x4 it would be perfect, but its very dependable and hasn't ever broken down on me on the road. I'm hoping to get several more miles out of it. Only problem now, the wheels never stay in balance or alignment and I never offroad it.

Favorite Features

Power Interior Dependability

Suggested Improvements

Steering and suspension components!!! Alignment!!

Mostly electrical problems
By Dennis Brooks

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in 2005, have put 67k miles on it in 5 years. This is a very comfortable truck. I took it on many 300 mile trips without a rest stop, feeling like I had only driven to town. However the many electrical problems has me wondering about the quality of gmc. Less than 5k the instrument display showed "electrical malfunction". The dealership repaired and did not give me reason. Other problems are evap solenoid, power door lock, brake master cylinder, bumping in steering column, 4wd transfer case switch, speedometer would go to 0, seat heater shorted out, headlights and dash lights flicker anytime you hit brakes or use Windows. The dealer gave an extra 2 yr warr for free due to the issues

Favorite Features

Good looking truck, the most comfortable truck I have ever owned. The cab controls with duel climate and rear seat radio controls are a life saver while traveling with wife and teenage daughter. Love the steering wheel access buttons. The Bose sound system is the best factory system I have heard.

Suggested Improvements

Some friends have similar trucks with some of the same elec issues. Do some research and fix this crap before putting a msrp of 39,000 on the door glass.

No More GM 4 me
By LostFaithGM

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new and totally disappointed. Truck now has over 104k miles and here is list of repair. Passenger hub replaced under warranty and driver hub replaced at 76k. Trans rebuild 75k. Torque converter replaced @ 83k. Power steering has been terrible since 30k. Front diff passenger seal leaks since under warranty and driver front diff seal leaked at 101k. Now water pump gasket leak @ 103k. U-joint at T-case & drive shaft replaced at 86k. Interior makes noises and this is considered normal. Noisy cab when cruising at over 45 miles. Rust is everywhere on the chassis. My last GM light duty truck

Favorite Features

To be honest I bought the truck because of the price. I got a great deal on it. But I guess I got what I payed for.

Suggested Improvements

4 L 60E tranny is to small for truck. Should of had a 4L80E tranny. So many 4 L 60 trannys are getting rebuild way before necessary. In my case the 3-4 clutch went out so no 3 or 4. No hard driving or neutral drops damaged this tranny. Very bad design. GM uses this tranny on Colorado, Trailblazer.

2nd GM truck
By Jonathan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started with a 99 Chevy Z71 that I drove 200k miles and beyond it's last leg so I traded it in for this GMC Crew 2WD with the 5.3 L. I was disappointed with the extended travel in the front suspension and huge turn radius. It's great on long trips for comfort, but gas mileage averages around 14 in the city and 16 on the highway. It feels real solid until you tow ANYTHING more than 500 #'s, it struggles over 55 mph with shifting a lot, due to lack of torque. The steering pops and clunks like my 99' did, the same for the rear-end chirp on start/stops. Bad design still being used from 99, that's just annoying. I like the comfort and prefer cloth over leather on long trips and in hot Texas.

Favorite Features

Full center console with rear seat radio controls. Comfortable bucket seats, steering wheel controls. Dependable up to 160k miles for the gas version.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce front end suspension travel. Lights in the steering wheel that don't fail quickly. Sound deadening on the back of the cheap plastic parts. Fiberglass tonneau from the factory and standard spray bedliner. A cable remote un-locking gas door, like an import. Power roll-down defrosting back window.

Greta truck
By Alan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck. One person wrote that his wouldn't tow, but he had the 6 cylinder. Why someone would not buy a V8 for towing is beyond me. My 5.3 has been flawless and I often tow a boat, motor, and trailer weighing 7000 lb and the G38 locking differential has allowed me to get up any boat ramp. I added a K&N cold air intake and Gibson cat back exhaust and get 22 MPG on the interstate and and 28 at 55 MPH.

Favorite Features

Power, fuel economy, looks, features, and interior room. Bose stereo with rear controls is a nice touch.