Used 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Needed work but worth it.
By murrayst45

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this in fall of 2007 with 60 thousand miles. Pumped a lot more money into it than I thought I would have to, to start out. Wheel hub bearings on both sides. Tie Rod ends. Ball joints. Air conditioner blower motor. u joints. Overhauled front brakes and rotors. This was over a course over 60 thousand more miles I have pumped into it. 122k on it now. I really do like this truck though, I do not pull very much and I love the feel behind the wheel. If it was 4x4 it would be perfect, but its very dependable and hasn't ever broken down on me on the road. I'm hoping to get several more miles out of it. Only problem now, the wheels never stay in balance or alignment and I never offroad it.

Power Interior Dependability

Steering and suspension components!!! Alignment!!

2nd GM truck
By Jonathan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started with a 99 Chevy Z71 that I drove 200k miles and beyond it's last leg so I traded it in for this GMC Crew 2WD with the 5.3 L. I was disappointed with the extended travel in the front suspension and huge turn radius. It's great on long trips for comfort, but gas mileage averages around 14 in the city and 16 on the highway. It feels real solid until you tow ANYTHING more than 500 #'s, it struggles over 55 mph with shifting a lot, due to lack of torque. The steering pops and clunks like my 99' did, the same for the rear-end chirp on start/stops. Bad design still being used from 99, that's just annoying. I like the comfort and prefer cloth over leather on long trips and in hot Texas.

Full center console with rear seat radio controls. Comfortable bucket seats, steering wheel controls. Dependable up to 160k miles for the gas version.

Reduce front end suspension travel. Lights in the steering wheel that don't fail quickly. Sound deadening on the back of the cheap plastic parts. Fiberglass tonneau from the factory and standard spray bedliner. A cable remote un-locking gas door, like an import. Power roll-down defrosting back window.

Greta truck
By Alan

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck. One person wrote that his wouldn't tow, but he had the 6 cylinder. Why someone would not buy a V8 for towing is beyond me. My 5.3 has been flawless and I often tow a boat, motor, and trailer weighing 7000 lb and the G38 locking differential has allowed me to get up any boat ramp. I added a K&N cold air intake and Gibson cat back exhaust and get 22 MPG on the interstate and and 28 at 55 MPH.

Power, fuel economy, looks, features, and interior room. Bose stereo with rear controls is a nice touch.

2005 1500 GMC Extended Cab
By Orlean

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Except for the early tranny issue and the noise coming from my steering column, this truck has been spectacular! Thanks to a personal mechanic who was a GM mechanic, the steering column has become a non-issue. And, the dealership took GREAT care of the tranny issue. 140,000 miles into it and I STILL love this truck! I've driven it to/from CA and TX several times, in both winter and summer, and it's served me VERY well! MPG has deteriorated over the years, but that's to be expected. Started at 17MPG and now at 15! I miss that extra 2MPG!

Better fuel economy and I would've given this truck a HUGE endorsement.

Not quite professional grade
By Brian

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Doors/cab seals are too tight, shouldn't have to slam the door. Only 18 mpg, not the 20 as the window sticker says. I get better gas mileage from my '98 Suburban. Knock in the steering. AC vent door noise. Front windshield not sealed correctly. Cheap radio and even cheaper speakers sound terrible. Very uncomfortable driver seat- No adjustments. Fuse box in the way of your left foot. Very disappointed in the engineering and material quality. Very little thought went into designing this truck, only profit. The whole truck is fake, proven by the fake chrome rims. I bought this truck planning to keep it 10+ years, now I can't wait to get rid of it, ASAP.

Exterior styling, looks better than the Chevy. Roomy back seat in the crew cab. 5.3 liter has good power.

Stop changing, just to change--improve what needs to be improved and keep the good stuff. Remove the fuse box from under my left foot. This could have been a good truck- had some thought gone into it.