2005 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Needed work but worth it.
By murrayst45 on 05/26/11 00:28 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this in fall of 2007 with 60 thousand miles. Pumped a lot more money into it than I thought I would have to, to start out. Wheel hub bearings on both sides. Tie Rod ends. Ball joints. Air conditioner blower motor. u joints. Overhauled front brakes and rotors. This was over a course over 60 thousand more miles I have pumped into it. 122k on it now. I really do like this truck though, I do not pull very much and I love the feel behind the wheel. If it was 4x4 it would be perfect, but its very dependable and hasn't ever broken down on me on the road. I'm hoping to get several more miles out of it. Only problem now, the wheels never stay in balance or alignment and I never offroad it.

2nd GM truck
By Jonathan on 04/17/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started with a 99 Chevy Z71 that I drove 200k miles and beyond it's last leg so I traded it in for this GMC Crew 2WD with the 5.3 L. I was disappointed with the extended travel in the front suspension and huge turn radius. It's great on long trips for comfort, but gas mileage averages around 14 in the city and 16 on the highway. It feels real solid until you tow ANYTHING more than 500 #'s, it struggles over 55 mph with shifting a lot, due to lack of torque. The steering pops and clunks like my 99' did, the same for the rear-end chirp on start/stops. Bad design still being used from 99, that's just annoying. I like the comfort and prefer cloth over leather on long trips and in hot Texas.

Greta truck
By Alan on 04/03/10 05:10 AM (PDT)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck. One person wrote that his wouldn't tow, but he had the 6 cylinder. Why someone would not buy a V8 for towing is beyond me. My 5.3 has been flawless and I often tow a boat, motor, and trailer weighing 7000 lb and the G38 locking differential has allowed me to get up any boat ramp. I added a K&N cold air intake and Gibson cat back exhaust and get 22 MPG on the interstate and and 28 at 55 MPH.

2005 1500 GMC Extended Cab
By Orlean on 12/15/09 14:48 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Except for the early tranny issue and the noise coming from my steering column, this truck has been spectacular! Thanks to a personal mechanic who was a GM mechanic, the steering column has become a non-issue. And, the dealership took GREAT care of the tranny issue. 140,000 miles into it and I STILL love this truck! I've driven it to/from CA and TX several times, in both winter and summer, and it's served me VERY well! MPG has deteriorated over the years, but that's to be expected. Started at 17MPG and now at 15! I miss that extra 2MPG!

Not quite professional grade
By Brian on 11/09/05 22:43 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Doors/cab seals are too tight, shouldn't have to slam the door. Only 18 mpg, not the 20 as the window sticker says. I get better gas mileage from my '98 Suburban. Knock in the steering. AC vent door noise. Front windshield not sealed correctly. Cheap radio and even cheaper speakers sound terrible. Very uncomfortable driver seat- No adjustments. Fuse box in the way of your left foot. Very disappointed in the engineering and material quality. Very little thought went into designing this truck, only profit. The whole truck is fake, proven by the fake chrome rims. I bought this truck planning to keep it 10+ years, now I can't wait to get rid of it, ASAP.

2005 GMC crewcab
By Bill's 2005 on 03/22/05 19:25 PM (PST)

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLE Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I consider the truck an outstanding buy with the rebates and other incentives that were offered. This is my 4th GM truck and it is the best one yet. The gas mileage is great for a truck of this size. It averages over 18 mpg in my daily driving, and 21 on the road.