Used 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 GMC Sierra 1500

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

great trucks
By tyloterbauer

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck used at 126k miles drove for a month started loosing coolant took it into my dealership they found out it was the water pump not the heads replaced for free I've had to do shocks ball joints tire rod ends maf sensor left bank exhaust manifold gasket evap control module u joint and axle shaft seals because I'm super picky but understand that I did not buy a brand new truck I bought used this truck pulls like a dream rides great just wish it didn't govern at 98 and had better stopping power I drove an 08 and decided I still liked the 04 better plenty of power and mpg isn't bad 04 sierra sle 5.3 extended cab 4x4 z71 is a keeper for sure out Mudd's my buddies fords and dodges

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Std cab SB 5.3
By p145897

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just turned 100k. Even though this truck has been meticulously maintained and never abused, it has had the transmission replaced (at 67K), sound system (at 25K), intermediate steering shaft (3 times), HVAC controls (at 75K), front rotors (2 times), instrument panel (at 70K), steering wheel control modules replaced (80K), etc. There is so much slop in the drive train that I would never consider using as a tow vehicle. Good for going to the dump and grocery shopping. Limited slip (rear) is demonstrating signs of impending failure, just a matter of time.

Favorite Features

Aftermarket navigation system and Magnaflow exhaust. Auto headlights. The 5.3 is a fantastic engine. 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes work very well when the front rotors are still true.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to admit the 4L60E transmission is fatally flawed and fund repairs.

Cracked Cylinder Heads
By formergmcguy

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

At about 53,900 miles, my 2004 5.3L developed a ticking noise. Turned out to be cracked cylinder heads. $3800 repair bill. I had it repaired and traded it for a brand new Tundra with 5.7L engine. No regrets.

Favorite Features

Color - black.

Suggested Improvements

If GM would have stood behind their product, I might have bought another one.

High miler, still purring!
By camelot4

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck 3 years ago with 120000 miles on it and it just purrs. Smooth, quiet, comfortable and even with all those miles it still doesn't burn or leak any oil. I haul a 260 gallon water tank in the back and it doesn't even phase the old girl. Just a great truck!

Favorite Features

Comfortable and quiet with more than decent mileage for a truck.. (22 mpg hi-way in Canadian gallons) Controls on the steering wheel, power/heated seats and auto headlights.

Suggested Improvements

I wished the center console would lift up out of the way to make room for an additional front seat.

Life
By erynlynne

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is a life saver for me, got into a car accident was going 85 and hit a telephone. I truly believed it saved my life, i just bought another one same year. Truck has a amazing build! i would tell anyone about this truck and how amazing it is.! i absolutely LOVE it.

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

better interior