Best Truck on the market
By Russell on
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)
Original owner. 130k miles. RELIABILITY-I've only had 2 problems, and 1 (speedometer) was a recall. The catalytic converter went out at 115k, but other than that, no rattles, no squeaks, not even a brake job. Overall reliability is good, better than my Toyota Matrix. DRIVETRAIN-GM says this V6 has less HP than Ford's, but this pickup (w/3.42 rear end) sure feels stronger than my brother's (w/3.55). No oil leaks at 130k, no slips in the tranny. INTERIOR-I like it, but most auto critics say it looks cheap. Seats are plush and ride is comfy. Overall reliability may belong to Honda/Toyota, but GM's powertrain sold me. None of the tranny problems typical of Hondas, better engines than Toyota.
Favorite Features
-Smooth ride (My single cab p/u actually rides better than the Honda Accord I test drove last week.) -Plush seating -Decent power from the V6 -Overall reliability is good, but expect a few knick-knacks to go out.
Suggested Improvements
-Catalytic converters. -Update the V6. The block is good for 400k, but only because it's the exact same engine they've been using since 1995. 4.8L V8 gets better fuel economy with more power. (V6=16 city/17.5 hi) -Like any other SWB, traction is an issue. Limited slip is worth it.