Used 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Best Truck on the market
By Russell

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Original owner. 130k miles. RELIABILITY-I've only had 2 problems, and 1 (speedometer) was a recall. The catalytic converter went out at 115k, but other than that, no rattles, no squeaks, not even a brake job. Overall reliability is good, better than my Toyota Matrix. DRIVETRAIN-GM says this V6 has less HP than Ford's, but this pickup (w/3.42 rear end) sure feels stronger than my brother's (w/3.55). No oil leaks at 130k, no slips in the tranny. INTERIOR-I like it, but most auto critics say it looks cheap. Seats are plush and ride is comfy. Overall reliability may belong to Honda/Toyota, but GM's powertrain sold me. None of the tranny problems typical of Hondas, better engines than Toyota.

Favorite Features

-Smooth ride (My single cab p/u actually rides better than the Honda Accord I test drove last week.) -Plush seating -Decent power from the V6 -Overall reliability is good, but expect a few knick-knacks to go out.

Suggested Improvements

-Catalytic converters. -Update the V6. The block is good for 400k, but only because it's the exact same engine they've been using since 1995. 4.8L V8 gets better fuel economy with more power. (V6=16 city/17.5 hi) -Like any other SWB, traction is an issue. Limited slip is worth it.

Best of the best
By Tyler

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I just recntly purchased my 2003 gmc sierra z71. I am truly amazed with the truck it has great power along with gread gas milage of a full sized truck. my frien has a 2002 ford f-150 4x4 and does good to get 12 mpg with conservative driving... he is now convienced to but a gm i dont blame him, i tip my hat to gm .. great job!

Favorite Features

Power,Gas milage, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

mabey a better quality sterio system

great design, but GM almost blows it...
By built for work

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I use mine as a strict work truck,; cloth seats, rubber floor mat and auto was only option. Easiest vehicle to drive I have own; very docile and predictable. But GM botched the steering shaft coupler; rattles across rough terrain.

Favorite Features

Added rear slider, will add posi soon

Suggested Improvements

fix steering coupler issue.

Couldn't ask for anything more.
By rustysmith

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

6 years later, I'm still happy with my purchase. It's been a great truck with no worries. The only problem I've had is not getting the speedometer fixed before the recall ran out. My own fault. Other than that, only oil changes for over 120k miles. Reliability on these trucks is second-to-none. I have three friends with the same body style (one '04 and two '05's) and all have over 100k miles w/only 3 problems. My speedometer went out @ 105k. On the '05, his alternator went out @ 134k and his tranny went @ 166k. Using the gold standard of reliability, he has an '01 Camry. The starter went @ 150k and the tranny @ 160k. GM seems to be catching up to the Japanese automakers. Great job.

Favorite Features

-Far and away the smoothest-riding full-size pickup on the market. Toyota's a distant second, and the rest head up the rear. -120k+ miles and reliability has been better than any other truck I've owned. -More than adequate power from the V6. -Superior ergonomics. Only Ford surpasses the GMs.

Suggested Improvements

-Seats could definitely be a bit more comfy. I love plush, but GM could take a cue from Toyota. -Though peppy, the V6 was never meant for towing. -No matter how much better of a ride GM has than Fords and Toyotas, my singe cab truck will never be mistaken for a good road car.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 bad brakes
By Danny S.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

My first 50,000 owning this truck were great. It drives like a car and works like a truck. However, the brakes started to make noise and vibrate when stopping. I had it serviced and found the entire brake system developed severe rust. The rear brakes did not function and a pad was dragging on the rotor. I had to replace all the brake parts. The job cost me $1800.00. I later check consumer affairs and found this to be a common problem with the new GM tucks.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is dual climate controls. Body style

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest GM to put better quality brake parts on their truck. The rotors should not have rusted and flake off in chucks. Like the old body panel rust.