2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
just like a beautiful woman
By pabelomeister on 03/12/13 23:37 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got this truck used with 80000. It had a bad intake gasket and got replaced. Engine has not given me any issues since. z71 4x4 is pretty dang nice, its hard to get this this thing stuck in the mud. Issue with the motor in the transfer case... but never stopped working (says service yada yada. been checked. not a big issue). basic maintenance and think I can give this vehicle to my kids (not soon either). GMC seems like a good truck with some quirks, but solid and runs when you need it. The 5.3 has some passing power, and tows like a champ. If you like your girls a little high maintenance, go on and get it. If not, then buy an old truck and forget about all the gadgets. good luck.

Great Truck
By CJB on 08/25/10 19:09 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the truck new in 2003.I needed something for the snow and thought I would try a GMC for once.There have been no problems with the truck until the 4WD module went out at 55k miles.The truck seems to dance around in the rear end in the snow abit.havent had any problems to speak of until 85k miles when the left front hub bearing went out. Tires lasted until 68k miles and still have the original battery in it.The front/rear brakes still have 50% left and should be good until 150k miles.The interior is still solid and everything still works like the day I bought it.

By R Coyle on 05/18/10 04:42 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in late 2002 truck has been average for comfort and mileage is good. Reliability is not good to many small issue my truck only has 60k and have replaced both front wheel bearings, replaced two power window motors, had to replace sensor for ABS brakes, steering gear box and now the cluster is going bad. GM know the cluster unit is an issue but refused to help on the repair cost. I think I am going to look at the Toyota Tundra for my next truck. GM just need to have a better warranty on the little things that are always going bad on their vechiles.

Best Vehicle I have ever Owned
By Tony on 11/13/09 11:35 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new in 03,I have over 140K and have not had to spend $1 on repairs. Replace fluids and do proper maintenance and it runs as good as the day I bought it.Would like to buy a new truck but cannot justify replacing it as it is so reliable. I drive a lot of highway miles and get almost 19 MPG if I keep it around 70 MPH.

So far So Good
By Joe on 07/02/09 11:00 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used for 10,500. Low miles 56k. My first real truck. I didn't want to afford a Tundra so this fell in my exact range of price. Drives like a truck and runs like a truck. Its been strong for the couple months of ownership. The seatbelt squeked but some wd-40 after taking off the plastic clip cleaned it right up. BEWARE of installing aftermarket cd players in here. I had to pay 120 dollars for a wire harness do my air bags and door chime worked! The truck is roomy and fits side and rear passengers very well. The spare tire holder under the truck won't work but hey, for the price could not beat it. Looking forward to 4wd this winter and owning a nice big truck.

Too many small problems
By tedmc on 12/05/08 11:24 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall, a nice truck, but too many small problems that are now adding up. So far, I've had the steering shaft replaced 3-4 times, the passenger back window replaced, the heated seats on the driver's side replaced, and now the instrument cluster has gone haywire. Oh yeah, I've been complaining about the awful noise the front end makes when the 4WD is engaged, but the dealership (not where I bought it) says that it is normal. Are you kidding me? I still like my truck as it rides and drives great, but I sold a 13 year old Toyota when I bought this one that was a better truck. I probably won't buy GM again if there are other options out there. Too bad.

Beautiful truck but a lemon!
By mondo24 on 05/02/08 12:19 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My 03 Serria Denali is a beautiful truck, but i have had one problem after another. New power steering pump, master cylnder, fuel pump, alternator, 2 starters!, new steering column, lower intake, new front end bearings, and emissions control valve. Now my left blinker turns on my hazards! I give up....give me a new truck!

You can't go wrong
By F. Gibbons on 03/13/08 17:58 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck with 48K and am very surprised of the quality of this truck. Being five years old I expected the suspension to maybe a tad loose or at the very least expected to hear cabin rattles and squeaks. Nothing; feels like a brand new truck. I have the SLT with the Bose and heated leather buckets. You never want to get out of it! Looked at all the other manufacturers and now know without question, I made the right choice.

Averaging one repair a year
By irishlager on 03/03/08 18:57 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is poor quality truck. In five years I have had five repairs and one recall. My repairs have included a cracked transmission case, bad steering mid-shaft, bad seatbelt, bad water pump, and bad wiper switch. In addition, I am currently losing lights in my dash and have lost most of my fan. GM likes to advertise this as 'professional grade.' However, no professional in his right mind should buy this truck. Please save yourself and buy something else.

Super Truck
By Robert on 10/08/07 17:51 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have just turned 70k in my 2003 Denali and its been a solid truck. Regular maintenance and I am told by the lube guy that there is a very small fluid leak from the intake. This is common in Vortec engines according too him. I guess overall I have been very impressed I just hope they have used better materials for the interior of newer models. I don't see myself ever replacing my truck it has been a good ride so far.