Used 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Gmc Sierra-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

just like a beautiful woman
By pabelomeister

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got this truck used with 80000. It had a bad intake gasket and got replaced. Engine has not given me any issues since. z71 4x4 is pretty dang nice, its hard to get this this thing stuck in the mud. Issue with the motor in the transfer case... but never stopped working (says service yada yada. been checked. not a big issue). basic maintenance and think I can give this vehicle to my kids (not soon either). GMC seems like a good truck with some quirks, but solid and runs when you need it. The 5.3 has some passing power, and tows like a champ. If you like your girls a little high maintenance, go on and get it. If not, then buy an old truck and forget about all the gadgets. good luck.

Favorite Features

engine is solid.

Suggested Improvements

Transfer case motor (read many people have this issue 300 bucks or so replacement)

Great Truck
By CJB

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the truck new in 2003.I needed something for the snow and thought I would try a GMC for once.There have been no problems with the truck until the 4WD module went out at 55k miles.The truck seems to dance around in the rear end in the snow abit.havent had any problems to speak of until 85k miles when the left front hub bearing went out. Tires lasted until 68k miles and still have the original battery in it.The front/rear brakes still have 50% left and should be good until 150k miles.The interior is still solid and everything still works like the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

Dependability,quiet interior ,smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

GM needed to make all their trucks with the 5.3 ltr V8 for added power and mountain climbing.

By R Coyle

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in late 2002 truck has been average for comfort and mileage is good. Reliability is not good to many small issue my truck only has 60k and have replaced both front wheel bearings, replaced two power window motors, had to replace sensor for ABS brakes, steering gear box and now the cluster is going bad. GM know the cluster unit is an issue but refused to help on the repair cost. I think I am going to look at the Toyota Tundra for my next truck. GM just need to have a better warranty on the little things that are always going bad on their vechiles.

Favorite Features

auto 4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Need to have a better warranty for the little issue that are alway failing on the vechile. Bearings and electrical parts should be 100K /10 years

Best Vehicle I have ever Owned
By Tony

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new in 03,I have over 140K and have not had to spend $1 on repairs. Replace fluids and do proper maintenance and it runs as good as the day I bought it.Would like to buy a new truck but cannot justify replacing it as it is so reliable. I drive a lot of highway miles and get almost 19 MPG if I keep it around 70 MPH.

Favorite Features

Nice ride out of a truck. Rides better than my wifes car. Nice to sit up higher, nobody tailgates you and has lots of getup & go.

Suggested Improvements

Wind nose especially out of the rear windows.

So far So Good
By Joe

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used for 10,500. Low miles 56k. My first real truck. I didn't want to afford a Tundra so this fell in my exact range of price. Drives like a truck and runs like a truck. Its been strong for the couple months of ownership. The seatbelt squeked but some wd-40 after taking off the plastic clip cleaned it right up. BEWARE of installing aftermarket cd players in here. I had to pay 120 dollars for a wire harness do my air bags and door chime worked! The truck is roomy and fits side and rear passengers very well. The spare tire holder under the truck won't work but hey, for the price could not beat it. Looking forward to 4wd this winter and owning a nice big truck.

Favorite Features

It's all just ok, no frills but strong.