2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Review: Great Truck Bad Transmission

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Review

Great Truck Bad Transmission
By Bob Forsberg on

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Delivery and paperwork was flawless Price was right. Sierra was delivered in perfect physical condition with only a minor transmission problem noticed. Problem increased, warranty looked into the problem. Problem is claimed by GM as "normal" and not a problem. Suspension has been cheapened translating into less comfort and a harder ride, even with the smooth ride suspension ordered. If this new truck rode like my 1990 GMC 1500 I would buy 3 more for my kids but will be hard pressed to ever buy another one the way they are being made today.

Stepside styling in black has always drawn me to Sierras. The factory CD system sounds clear without door vibrations from the speakers. The 4.8L engine rivals the older 350s in performance. Air conditioning is first class. Seats are very comfortable. Dash styling is the best around.

I still own a 1990 1500 with the original transmission running better at 209,592 miles than the new one in my 2002 model. GM says the clunking and clanking noises are "normal" with under 3000 miles on my 2002 truck. If this is considered normal, start selling your GMC stock right now.