Used 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

The Professional Grade!!!!!!
By mwheeler88

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My GMC Sierra is a great truck! It rides great and it handles very well. The only thing i don't like about it, is its a 2WD but I would probably never use it if i did have it and I have to say it has been the most reliable vehicle i have ever had. My dad bought it in 2002 new and gave it to me when he bought a new car. It only has 86,000 miles on it and i have to say for a truck that's not a lot. Knock on wood I have never had to take it in for any work other than to get it serviced. I don't like the gas mileage it gets 13 MPG in town but it does have the 5.3L V8 so what do you expect. But i love the truck and i hope to have it for a long time.

i have to say i like pretty much everything about the truck except for the gas mileage!

Gas mileage!

Best Truck Ever
By Joe K.

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck was two years old, with 33,000 miles when I purchased it (Certified Used). I use this pickup on our family farm and to drive to work, resulting in 40K miles each year. This is the best truck, fantastic engine 5.3, great power reasonable fuel economy. No complaints with the 4WD, I use it frequently. Currently, the truck has over 200K miles, the service record is brief: 5 years old replace rear brakes (still have not replaced front brakes),6 years old replace battery just to be on the safe side, Fuel pump replaced at 175K miles, my fault for not ever replacing the fuel filter. At 180K had to replace the front UJoint. Plan to trade the truck in on a similar equipped 2008 model Sierra.

Engine and transmission, simple, powerful, responsive, reliable. The color is white but it always looks good, good looking wheels, do not show any wear. Wheel alignment is beyond belief, managed to get 110K miles on one set of tires (never rotated)

I had a similar 1999 Z-71 Silverado before this truck, had the same issue, which is no place to put your left elbow. Always end up on the window sill, I think this has been corrected in the 900 series trucks.

Awesome Truck!
By rawannam

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have no idea why GMC cancelled the Quadrasteer but I hope they bring it back by time I'm in the market for my next truck! It's an amazing truck, drives like a car, and you would have no idea its as big as it is being that its so nimble. Would highly recomend this truck!

Quadrasteer of course! That and AWD and the 6.0 Litre engine, vroom!

None

Love my GMC Sierra Denali
By Cliff

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Best truck that I have owned to date. 6.0l engine is awesome. Towing my 6000lb boat is a breeze. Like the heated seats on these cold winter days. Very comfortable driving vehicle. Can easyly rack up 500 miles daily. That's when you wish you had dual gas tanks. Can't complain about gas mileage because of AWD and large engine. A fact that I don't like: The driver O/S mirror is heated but passenger side is not. Kind of strange for $40,000+ truck. All wheel steering is great. The few extra miilimeters of rear axle width seems to improve stability. Recently got 18 mpg with a tail wind.

Four wheel steering and towing capabilty are my favorite features.

Add passenger side heated mirror.

Worst truck ever
By eric

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I was always a GM fan until I bought this truck.I bought it brand new and had lots of problems with it.I actually started to look forward to bringing it in the shop so I could drive their loaner vehicle. Had to replace brake pads and rotors at 34,000,had to argue to get it covered under warranty.Dont expect GM customer service to help you cuz they wont you are on your own. Replaced air conditioner compressor and condensor, could never get windows and doors to seal right. I don't have enough room to write everything here, but if you see this vehicle anywhere the best advice I can give you is to run away from it as fast as you can.I just traded this truck in on a Toyaota truck in Nov. of 05.

Truck looked good but looks wont get you down the road.

Need to re-do the braking systems,have talked to many owners who have had lots of problems with the quality of the brakes.