2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
The Professional Grade!!!!!!
By mwheeler88 on 03/13/10 19:41 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My GMC Sierra is a great truck! It rides great and it handles very well. The only thing i don't like about it, is its a 2WD but I would probably never use it if i did have it and I have to say it has been the most reliable vehicle i have ever had. My dad bought it in 2002 new and gave it to me when he bought a new car. It only has 86,000 miles on it and i have to say for a truck that's not a lot. Knock on wood I have never had to take it in for any work other than to get it serviced. I don't like the gas mileage it gets 13 MPG in town but it does have the 5.3L V8 so what do you expect. But i love the truck and i hope to have it for a long time.

Best Truck Ever
By Joe K. on 08/12/09 08:29 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck was two years old, with 33,000 miles when I purchased it (Certified Used). I use this pickup on our family farm and to drive to work, resulting in 40K miles each year. This is the best truck, fantastic engine 5.3, great power reasonable fuel economy. No complaints with the 4WD, I use it frequently. Currently, the truck has over 200K miles, the service record is brief: 5 years old replace rear brakes (still have not replaced front brakes),6 years old replace battery just to be on the safe side, Fuel pump replaced at 175K miles, my fault for not ever replacing the fuel filter. At 180K had to replace the front UJoint. Plan to trade the truck in on a similar equipped 2008 model Sierra.

Awesome Truck!
By rawannam on 12/24/06 14:12 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have no idea why GMC cancelled the Quadrasteer but I hope they bring it back by time I'm in the market for my next truck! It's an amazing truck, drives like a car, and you would have no idea its as big as it is being that its so nimble. Would highly recomend this truck!

Love my GMC Sierra Denali
By Cliff on 03/28/06 19:06 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Best truck that I have owned to date. 6.0l engine is awesome. Towing my 6000lb boat is a breeze. Like the heated seats on these cold winter days. Very comfortable driving vehicle. Can easyly rack up 500 miles daily. That's when you wish you had dual gas tanks. Can't complain about gas mileage because of AWD and large engine. A fact that I don't like: The driver O/S mirror is heated but passenger side is not. Kind of strange for $40,000+ truck. All wheel steering is great. The few extra miilimeters of rear axle width seems to improve stability. Recently got 18 mpg with a tail wind.

Worst truck ever
By eric on 12/07/05 14:33 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I was always a GM fan until I bought this truck.I bought it brand new and had lots of problems with it.I actually started to look forward to bringing it in the shop so I could drive their loaner vehicle. Had to replace brake pads and rotors at 34,000,had to argue to get it covered under warranty.Dont expect GM customer service to help you cuz they wont you are on your own. Replaced air conditioner compressor and condensor, could never get windows and doors to seal right. I don't have enough room to write everything here, but if you see this vehicle anywhere the best advice I can give you is to run away from it as fast as you can.I just traded this truck in on a Toyaota truck in Nov. of 05.

happy!!
By casey on 10/09/05 04:25 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck only had it a year, but 4 wheel steering should come standard on all cars and trucks.The interior is great. The look is even better!! The power of the 6 liter is awsome. Fuel mileage is not so good, but I guess you have to give up something for all the power. Theses trucks have all the bells and whistles This is truly a sports car in a truck skin! Only downside is I can't afford 2

Pleased
By Sparky on 09/28/05 02:32 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Though the vehicle had to have the front differential replaced at 9400 miles, I still would buy another in a second. Absolutely fantastic for pulling my 30 foot travel trailer, excellent fit and finish, and the 4 wheel steering makes it easy to drive and park even in Denver's hectic traffic. Mileage is average, but seating and comfort features are way above average. This is the nicest truck I have ever owned. Leased it originally, then bought it at the end of the lease. Dealer was dying to get it back, but I wouldn't give it up!

What happened?
By groggybob on 04/04/05 02:58 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

loved the truck until exactly 40,000 miles. Right out of warranty the sun shell in the transmission wore out. Repaired it for $500 in parts myself. Non-mechanics will find no one to do it, and if they do, likely triple the cost. Also had a ticking sound like a valve from about 20,000 miles. The dealership happily checked it out and even replaced the lifters as a best guess. That lasted 100 miles and the sound returned. Seems to not affect anything and can be heard on only a few of the trucks. Unless you haul, don't get the hauling suspension. You can easily load the bed with solid rock and roll down the interstate like it wasn't even there.

Best PU on the road
By denali owner on 03/19/05 01:14 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has the comforts of a car, and the abilities of a truck. Interior is comfortable, and it will haul and tow like nobody's business. 4 wheel steering is amazing! You can u- turn on the average city street and the manueverability in parking lots is unbelievable. Drive one. Try to drive something else. Enough said.

2 Year Old Denali
By Suzcrew on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Denali for 2 years now. Up until the warranty ran out I did not have any problems. Now problems with the drive shaft, steering, and transmission. I am have taken excellent care of my truck and wouldn't think of even getting it muddy. However, now I am thinking about trading it in on something with fewer problems. Your adverage Joe will not touch this truck for repairs. Getting parts has been impossible and even dealers can't order the right ones (parts). I love the look, the comfort, the whole package of this truck and hate to part with it. This truck gets more attention than I do!