2002 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
The Professional Grade!!!!!!
By mwheeler88 on 03/13/10 19:41 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My GMC Sierra is a great truck! It rides great and it handles very well. The only thing i don't like about it, is its a 2WD but I would probably never use it if i did have it and I have to say it has been the most reliable vehicle i have ever had. My dad bought it in 2002 new and gave it to me when he bought a new car. It only has 86,000 miles on it and i have to say for a truck that's not a lot. Knock on wood I have never had to take it in for any work other than to get it serviced. I don't like the gas mileage it gets 13 MPG in town but it does have the 5.3L V8 so what do you expect. But i love the truck and i hope to have it for a long time.

Best Truck Ever
By Joe K. on 08/12/09 08:29 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck was two years old, with 33,000 miles when I purchased it (Certified Used). I use this pickup on our family farm and to drive to work, resulting in 40K miles each year. This is the best truck, fantastic engine 5.3, great power reasonable fuel economy. No complaints with the 4WD, I use it frequently. Currently, the truck has over 200K miles, the service record is brief: 5 years old replace rear brakes (still have not replaced front brakes),6 years old replace battery just to be on the safe side, Fuel pump replaced at 175K miles, my fault for not ever replacing the fuel filter. At 180K had to replace the front UJoint. Plan to trade the truck in on a similar equipped 2008 model Sierra.

5.3 V8 why go smaller?
By Schuyler Young on 09/03/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 GMC Regular Cab Flareside shortbed 4x4. I bought the truck used with 46,000 miles on it and now have 51,000 and only had one problem. My sound system rattled the screw loose on the overhead consule. I installed the sound system a month after i bought it and it and had to replace the tires which seem to be a common problem with these.I have a hard tonneau cover and it really helps out living in Alaska. If a truck survives here it can survive anywhere.

Absolutly Satisfied
By Durakingdiesel on 03/02/08 16:52 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab SL 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is awesome. Only had one problem with it and that was the intermediate steering shaft replaced at no charge. The 4.8 had plenty of grunt. Spins the rear tires no problem (even at 1/4 throttle). The 4 wheel drive just goes in the snow no spin at all. It tows like there's nothing there which is awesome. It gets very decent gas mileage too I get about 17 18 city.

A fairly good all round truck
By quickpickup on 11/06/07 00:05 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab SL 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck in Feb 2007 with 86,000 miles. At 89k new fuel pump b/c previous owner did not change fuel filter. At 92k intake gaskets leaking bad enough it wouldnt run on a cool summer morning. 93k discovered the reason behind poor braking was that the front rotors where virtually destroying themselves. Terrible case of piston slap when stone cold. Other than these problems I love my truck. It's quick nimble and fun to drive. It is crazy good looking. I drive it extremely hard about 3/4 of the time and it doesnt miss a beat. K&N filter helps power.

Awesome Truck!
By rawannam on 12/24/06 14:12 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have no idea why GMC cancelled the Quadrasteer but I hope they bring it back by time I'm in the market for my next truck! It's an amazing truck, drives like a car, and you would have no idea its as big as it is being that its so nimble. Would highly recomend this truck!

Love my GMC Sierra Denali
By Cliff on 03/28/06 19:06 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Best truck that I have owned to date. 6.0l engine is awesome. Towing my 6000lb boat is a breeze. Like the heated seats on these cold winter days. Very comfortable driving vehicle. Can easyly rack up 500 miles daily. That's when you wish you had dual gas tanks. Can't complain about gas mileage because of AWD and large engine. A fact that I don't like: The driver O/S mirror is heated but passenger side is not. Kind of strange for $40,000+ truck. All wheel steering is great. The few extra miilimeters of rear axle width seems to improve stability. Recently got 18 mpg with a tail wind.

Worst truck ever
By eric on 12/07/05 14:33 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I was always a GM fan until I bought this truck.I bought it brand new and had lots of problems with it.I actually started to look forward to bringing it in the shop so I could drive their loaner vehicle. Had to replace brake pads and rotors at 34,000,had to argue to get it covered under warranty.Dont expect GM customer service to help you cuz they wont you are on your own. Replaced air conditioner compressor and condensor, could never get windows and doors to seal right. I don't have enough room to write everything here, but if you see this vehicle anywhere the best advice I can give you is to run away from it as fast as you can.I just traded this truck in on a Toyaota truck in Nov. of 05.

GMC 1500 Lemon
By SC on 10/27/05 14:18 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The truck ran and performed fine up to the point to where I had about 8000 miles on it. After that, engine knocks, transmission slips, steering problems, brake problems, gas mileage dropped, tires were wearing funny, brake light electrical problems all surfaced. Maintenance shop was cluless on fixing problems and didn't know how to fix anything. I was accused of 4 wheeling the truck when I have never even had it off road. Then I was told that the steering problems, brake problems, and tire problems were not covered under warranty past 1500 miles. Worst truck I have ever owned and I'll never own another.

happy!!
By casey on 10/09/05 04:25 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck only had it a year, but 4 wheel steering should come standard on all cars and trucks.The interior is great. The look is even better!! The power of the 6 liter is awsome. Fuel mileage is not so good, but I guess you have to give up something for all the power. Theses trucks have all the bells and whistles This is truly a sports car in a truck skin! Only downside is I can't afford 2

1 2 3 4 5 next »