dependable ride
By alphonse on
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 2WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)
purchased new in 01,in 8 yrs the truck has had very few problems. passenger side seat belt tightens up on its own, & the interior light switch had a short.Oe tires had to be replaced at 35k, & the on star system is no longer compatible with the new digital system. fuel mileage averages about 17 in mixed driving, 20mpg is achievable on long highway travel.I would buy another gmc if we wear this one out, brakes still have about 60% life left.
Favorite Features
Heated leather seats, whole interior is comfortable & user friendly.Easy to change halogen light bulbs.Reasonably Quiet ride, & decent handling for a truck.
Suggested Improvements
Redesign seat belts.
By smoo4asw
on 05/25/14 18:46 PM (PDT)

Funny how GM seems to claim that in their pre-bailout ads that "gee, we care about the customer", and then they cut corners by rushing OnStar to production in 2001 by partnering with Verizon Wireless to power it rather than taking the time, effort, energy, and money to build OnStar completely from the ground up so that any vehicle with OnStar would work with it as long as you kept your payment up. The fact that OnStar is not a sir vice of GM but rather someone that GM middle manned it out to leaves me unwilling to buy a 2001 or later GM vehicle even when we had the opportunity because of crap like this that was pushed in the name of helping the user. Notice how post-bailout their ad strategy turned into "gee, everyone else is buying GM, so you should too" instead of "we're trying with each model year to make the GM owner's life better." It still isn't true, but at least it won't leave you stranded with no way out the way cutting corners with OnStar might. I will do what I can for you whether you want it or not and my Momma will be doing the same once I tell her. Even you don't deserve to be stranded, in case I might have a disagreement with you in the future.