2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Review: Not bad!

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Review

Not bad!
By xfarmboy on

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my Sierra new and still enjoy driving it. Only had a few warranty items to take care of in the first year (rear seatbelt retractor, clunking sound from front wheels when going over bumps & front wheel alignment problem). Other than that, have just had it in to the dealer for regular maintenance. It handles great on curves & turns and has plenty of power. However, it does drink lots of gas. I average about 13.5 mpg in the city & around 16 mpg on the highway. The factory tires were terrible (Firestone Wilderness AT) and I only got about 36,000 miles out of them. Have replaced them with Michelin LTX M/S and they have been great in giving the truck a much smoother ride.

Favorite Features

Like the good looks, flip-up rear seat & power of the engine. Tow/haul button is great when trailering. Like the auto-diming rear view mirror w/comp. & temp. The Auto 4 whl drv button is a nice feature too.

Suggested Improvements

For the price I paid, I expected better interior materials other than the cheap plastic. Gas mileage could be improved. Would be nice if the side view mirrors were auto-diming.