Used 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
By DPW

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 2WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used from a local dealership. This is my first full sized pickup, and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

It has a powerful 327 under the hood. I bought the truck to pull my boat. It has absolutely no problem in this category. It is spacous inside, and I will likely buy another one of these trucks in the future.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a shoulder harnass seatbelt in the middle of the back seat.

My 01 GMC
By Freddymack

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The truck drives out great, a lil bit of oil consumption on 5.3l engine, had a rear wheel bearing go out HMMM. Clunking when going into gear, possible yoke. Does everything I need it to do.

Favorite Features

Automiatic lights on in the dark auto 4wd feature is nice.

Suggested Improvements

4 real door on that model, more ty downs in bed.

Great all around truck
By TAZ427

This is a great all around truck. It's comfortable and makes a good daily driver, while rugged enough to do the odd jobs such as hauling lumber, dirt, gravel, and the family. One of the things that impressed me the most is the ride comfort, while still be able to haul a big load.

Favorite Features

Trailer hitch integrated into rear bumper. I've been rear-ended twice with only mild dings to the bumper, while doing a total of $4500 damage to two different idiots who obviously can't find the brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Put some tires with better wear on the truck. Integrate a garage door opener, the garage door opener holder is useless for most openers. Instead use this are for a hidden compartement w/ a cigerette lighter plug for power.

Looks aren't everything!
By Hawkman

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

SLE Ext Cab, Sportside,5.3, tow, HD suspension. The truck rides like a frikkin' wagon train. Absolutely loathe driving iy. I don't understand how everyone says it rides great. I'm going to put Bilstein's "comfort" shocks and hope it provides a cure. Other than its ride, the truck is great! Nice, comfortable and roomy inside. Looks fantastic! Reliability has not been an issue. Has more shakes and rattles than I prefer. Gas mileage has been consistent around 16mpg. Contemplating a Radix supercharger. Decent power is not enough. I'd recommend buying this truck, but looks alone does not make for lasting love.

Favorite Features

Aesthetically pleasant. Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Softer suspension...but I think they have it now. Auto feature for passenger window. Ability to turn off electrochromic rear view mirror.

GMC SIERRA
By ted1955

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

If GM built cars as good as their trucks they would put a lot of people out of business.

Favorite Features

Exterior design. Interior design. Powerful motor.

Suggested Improvements

Four regular doors in the 1500 Series.