2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Great Truck!
By bdevine on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall this is a great truck. Even with the heavy duty suspension the ride is very comfortable. Excellent power train so it makes a great truck for hauling. I also like the four doors when I need to haul the whole family but the back doors are a pain to get the kids out of in tight spots. I've had the truck two years and have had no problems with it.

The Sierra, #1 Pick
By CRSTPR on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

If youre looking for something larger than a S-10 that will pin you in your seat when you want it too then the 5.3 Sierra should be a top choice for the consumer. With the proper trim, you think youre riding in a Escalade

Move over
By Move-em-over on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Powerful,I have towhaul package pulls with ease and still has Excellent passing power while towing. best truck I ever owned and driven, owned for two years haven't had one problem.

Color mine yellow
By Jack Thomas on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

What can I say...bought it in May, 02. In the shop four times by Sept. 1 02. Quality, workmanship, seems like it was just slapped together. GM has been no help.....preparing my lemon paperwork...brakes, cracked exhaust manifold, trans spline sheared off, starter failed, and for some reason the right side headlight has burned out 4 times since I bought it!

flimsy body panels
By letdown on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Be aware of service bulletin # 01-08-66- 014 which addresses sheet metal fracture with accessories such as tool boxes,and ladder racks. My truck has a rack on it which was also on my '99 GMC(which had no problem in 94000 miles).At about 70000 miles the body panels just in front of the tail lights on both side ripped apart and the bed rails collapsed onto the tail lights. Since I am out of warranty(too many miles, not time) that this repair is on my dime - actually $1800. This was my third truck from this dealer and all of them have used the same rack. They told me that when GMC went to the new body style in 2000 they just aren't as strong. BE AWARE!!!

Great Truck
By Windwalker 1 on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck, to have fun driving and fixing it up to scream. So far so good, it screams. Cold air intake, flowmaster, Jet stage 1 and Jet shift. The 5.3 now breaths better. 16mpg in town, 20+on the hwy.[if I keep the pedal off the floor]

knock knock
By whoa there on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SL 2WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

this truck is running very welland i likethe powerand ride. the brakes are weak ,no feel to them . you have to stomp on pedal. i am discovering a knock on start up and when idling.i willtaketo dealersoon to check. haveowned truck 1 yr. and enjoyed driving immensely.

Awesome Truck
By Truck User on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Truck has exceptional power (5.3). Towing 7000# skid loader a breeze. Fully satisfied with truck. Seating is great with the center console. Just like captain's chairs in a van. The only change I would make is to opt for 4 full doors versus the extended cab.

Professional Grade???
By Going Back to Ford on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

After 2 Fords with over 100000 on each and relatively no trouble, I suddenly have a hole in my 2001 GMC engine block. The GMC hotline has been very vague about service since I am now at 42000 miles and the dealer tries to ignore my calls every time I try to get an answer if this is a factory issue. If this thing ever gets out of the shop I will NEVER own another GMC product!

Good truck with lots of extras
By art5121 on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have 11,500 miles on this 1-year old truck. I've owned many vehicles in my 25 years of driving, and honestly think this is the best truck on the road. The ride is smooth (better than many cars), the 5.3 liter engine is strong, and the fuel mileage beats the heck out of a Dodge. I've owned Chevy and GMC trucks before, and I agree with many other people who say the re-design of these vehicles put them in a class to be envied.