Used 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Great Truck
By Gary

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall this was a fun truck to own and drive. The fact that I'm sitting here typing is a testiment to how well it's built. I rear ended a semi- trailer at approx 50 MPH on the ice. Bumper went under read of trailer and engine took full impact. No air bag deployment becuase of this, but I was safe and sound. My only complaint would be that ALL GM trucks 1999 to 2001 have an issue with air leakage on the passenger side, making it extremely uncomfortable for the passenger in cold climates. Despite the fact I have a repair bulletin on this GM acted dumb abouot the problem the times I called to complain.

Favorite Features

Style, ride, power, creature comforts (except for air leak on passengers feet)

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the passenger issue will not surface on the '03 Avalanche I'm picking up this week !

GMC (Grand Ma's Chariot)
By bfrano

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Have driven on different vacations R/T East - West, North - South. Each time the grandkids were present and traveled comfortably. A good feature is that on "Antiqueing" trips, I can purchase an item and not have to worry about the cost of freighting the items. Recently, I test drove a Tahoe, Yukon, and and an Expedition because I needed a set of step sides/running boards. Afterwards, I decided to keep my GMC truck and buy the accessories.

Favorite Features

The favorite features are the ease in driving, visual handling, and the towing for standard driving and on the interstate and metro driving. Also the utility items: cup holders, storage compartments, and overhead storage space are very convenient.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have better gas mileage.

2001 GMC Sierra 4WD SLE LB 5.3 Liter
By DEBORAH NICKE

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I gave lower scores on the interior design only because of the seat belts. All GM seat belts are really poorly designed for comfort. Also, all GM vehicles seem to have some kind of electrical problems or "glitches". Otherwise, this is an awesome vehicle with little or no problems. This truck does seem to lose about 1 quart of oil within the first 1,000 miles after each oil change, for some reason. I was told this is normal, however. Even if the synthetic oil is used, it will lose about a quart & needs to be added before next change schedule after about 3,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Power! This truck has power and acceleration that makes you feel like you're blasting off from Earth in a rocket. Sweet! Also, I feel very safe in this vehicle. The 4WD is a huge plus in the Michigan winters. This truck will drive through 5 feet of snow like butter.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belts! GM needs to fire the guy who currently designs or supplies the seat belts and get someone that knows what they are doing! For comfort as well as just functioning properly. Especially the front passenger side, it's almost intolerable to wear & keeps you plastered to the seat!

excellent vehicle
By kbgmc

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

2001 GMC Sierra ext. cab 5.3 liter, 38,000 miles. Excellent truck, no problems, the 5.3 is quick. mpg not the best, only 16.5-17. no problems. recommend GMC to anyone.

Favorite Features

bucket seats

Suggested Improvements

none

Big Man Review
By craig_allen

We bought this truck new. I'm over 300 lbs. We are 2 adults, retired with one vehicle to drive. Therefore confort, reliability, etc all have to be in the top of the scale. We have pulled fith wheel Travel trailer with this truck around SE USA wirh no problems. I expect we were close to 13K going down the road. Always performed like a champ. Only minor service things; 1) Daylight lamps had to be replaced. 2) OEM Tires replaced before 40K miles with Michlien LTX. 3)Drivers seat frame broke, replaced under extended warranty. I did have reservation about pulling TT, but there has never been a problem associated with this. PS Note having been a one TRUCK famil

Favorite Features

We bought truck for interior roominess. Push button 4wh Drive is Great.