2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Great Truck
By Gary on 12/11/05 19:58 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall this was a fun truck to own and drive. The fact that I'm sitting here typing is a testiment to how well it's built. I rear ended a semi- trailer at approx 50 MPH on the ice. Bumper went under read of trailer and engine took full impact. No air bag deployment becuase of this, but I was safe and sound. My only complaint would be that ALL GM trucks 1999 to 2001 have an issue with air leakage on the passenger side, making it extremely uncomfortable for the passenger in cold climates. Despite the fact I have a repair bulletin on this GM acted dumb abouot the problem the times I called to complain.

GMC (Grand Ma's Chariot)
By bfrano on 07/29/05 12:12 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SL 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Have driven on different vacations R/T East - West, North - South. Each time the grandkids were present and traveled comfortably. A good feature is that on "Antiqueing" trips, I can purchase an item and not have to worry about the cost of freighting the items. Recently, I test drove a Tahoe, Yukon, and and an Expedition because I needed a set of step sides/running boards. Afterwards, I decided to keep my GMC truck and buy the accessories.

2001 GMC Sierra 4WD SLE LB 5.3 Liter
By DEBORAH NICKE on 03/24/05 06:23 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I gave lower scores on the interior design only because of the seat belts. All GM seat belts are really poorly designed for comfort. Also, all GM vehicles seem to have some kind of electrical problems or "glitches". Otherwise, this is an awesome vehicle with little or no problems. This truck does seem to lose about 1 quart of oil within the first 1,000 miles after each oil change, for some reason. I was told this is normal, however. Even if the synthetic oil is used, it will lose about a quart & needs to be added before next change schedule after about 3,000 miles.

excellent vehicle
By kbgmc on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

2001 GMC Sierra ext. cab 5.3 liter, 38,000 miles. Excellent truck, no problems, the 5.3 is quick. mpg not the best, only 16.5-17. no problems. recommend GMC to anyone.

Big Man Review
By craig_allen on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

We bought this truck new. I'm over 300 lbs. We are 2 adults, retired with one vehicle to drive. Therefore confort, reliability, etc all have to be in the top of the scale. We have pulled fith wheel Travel trailer with this truck around SE USA wirh no problems. I expect we were close to 13K going down the road. Always performed like a champ. Only minor service things; 1) Daylight lamps had to be replaced. 2) OEM Tires replaced before 40K miles with Michlien LTX. 3)Drivers seat frame broke, replaced under extended warranty. I did have reservation about pulling TT, but there has never been a problem associated with this. PS Note having been a one TRUCK famil

Problems to plan for
By pretell on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Be aware that when you get your GMC, on the freeway or expressway that you will feel "freeway hop". This is a problem that GMC knows about but will do nothing to fix. Because most people will not test-drive a new vehicle on a freeway, this is a problem that will not show up until that first time you drive your new truck on the freeway, and think the alinement is out, and take it back to the dealer, only to be told that GM is aware of the problem, and put a lot of weight in the rear of the bed. Contacting the 1-800 number did not produce any results either. Hope this helps at this one other person before they buy.

Best truck we've had so far.....
By P&CSmith on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We just purchased this truck. It is a very nice and comfortable vehicle to have. We have averaged around 18 to 20 miles to the tank this has been in city so far. It is a quiet ride also. We use to have a ford ext. cab with a 1 ton chassie 4x4 (diesel)and the only thing i can tell that is different is you can feel the small bumps on the road more. Thats only because we were used to a heavier truck. I would highly recommend this truck as of today

Great Truck
By ThomasJ on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had no problems at all with this truck. It can haul, cruise, or simply get around town with no problems.

GMC Hard to Beat
By William henry on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Absolutely almost 3 years trouble free use, everything from pleasure driving (500 mile trips) to hauling hay or livestock. Never a wimper, never a miss. Pull a 4,000 pound tractor plus implements and trailer and you never know you have anything in tow using the tow mode. Will surely buy another.

Not bad!
By xfarmboy on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my Sierra new and still enjoy driving it. Only had a few warranty items to take care of in the first year (rear seatbelt retractor, clunking sound from front wheels when going over bumps & front wheel alignment problem). Other than that, have just had it in to the dealer for regular maintenance. It handles great on curves & turns and has plenty of power. However, it does drink lots of gas. I average about 13.5 mpg in the city & around 16 mpg on the highway. The factory tires were terrible (Firestone Wilderness AT) and I only got about 36,000 miles out of them. Have replaced them with Michelin LTX M/S and they have been great in giving the truck a much smoother ride.