2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
A real long term test
By motorbones on 12/23/13 17:08 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

After 13 years and 252,000 miles, i think it's time a write a review. The engine is all original, and runs as good as the first day. The transmission failed after 150,000, but the new one is flawless. Aside for the normal consumables, I have had to replace one wheel bearing. That's it. That, and the fact that I have two rather expensive cars sitting in the garage, but my wife always prefers the "truck" for it's comfort and ride quality. I'm sure someone out there will beat me up on how much better they're doing with their Ram or Ford or Toyota, and I can't fault them... I don't know those trucks. But this truck doesn't show any signs that will give it up any time soon.

Rusting away
By Brian on 11/06/09 17:58 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had fuel line, brake line rust problems, I have also had rear brake problems having 4 sets of brakes on the rear since purchase. Very disappointed in this truck. Steering noise problems. And from talking with other owners these problems are common place with GMC and Chevrolet 2001 trucks.

dependable ride
By alphonse on 05/16/09 01:43 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 2WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

purchased new in 01,in 8 yrs the truck has had very few problems. passenger side seat belt tightens up on its own, & the interior light switch had a short.Oe tires had to be replaced at 35k, & the on star system is no longer compatible with the new digital system. fuel mileage averages about 17 in mixed driving, 20mpg is achievable on long highway travel.I would buy another gmc if we wear this one out, brakes still have about 60% life left.

Still love it after 9
By CLIFFMO on 12/09/08 10:03 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

110000 mi and still original brakes and I tow a 5th wheel. Always serviced at dealer. Driver's seat leather needed replacement - outside edge, otherwise excellent wear and reliability.

Whoa there
By KNOCK KNOCK on 06/13/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SL 2WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Truck runs good but there have been some problems. The brake light goes on most of the time, brakes are in working order says dealer. I need plenty of distance to stop. Gas gauge goes up and down intermitantly if you fill-up, at 1/2 tank it will go away. I have racks and boxes which has made body panels break away at tailights. Pro-grade not. Response was too much weight on bed? Vibration or shudder on launch. Mechanic found bearing in tail of tranny is worn. Remove to repair, too much weight?. Engine knocks on start still, response was could not replicate. Taigate cables were only repair that was correctly solved. The rusty bumper+driveline clunking was ignored.

very reliable
By outtatime1 on 05/03/08 16:49 PM (PDT)

The best car/truck Ive ever owned. I trust it to go anywhere.Has towing package but anything 7000-8000lbs fells like a struggle for the engine. Like the 4 wheel disc brakes.Factory a/c delco batteries gave trouble(leaked acid). In 91k miles only 1 visit to dealer to repair abs warning light(abs unit died). The drive train is good(change limited slip gear lube every 30k miles) or limited slip rear can stay locked up after a hard acceleration.)Truck has been lowered 2-4 inches (It sits nice, not too low). Installed airlift load assist air bags for towing/hauling (highly recommended!) Flowmaster 70 series dual side exhaust system. 20 inch centerline wheels. The truck 'Ive always wanted. Very happy.

I will cry the day I sell it
By a misplaced Texan on 07/23/07 22:41 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

5.3L V8 is a damn powerful engine! More so with a few aftermarket goodies. We absolutely love this truck, chose it for being much sexier than Chevy counterpart. I am a street truck enthusiast, and appreciate that the aftermarket is chock full of parts/accessories for my truck/engine. I only marked down on comfort b/c you can find a roomier back seat in a smaller truck (Dodge Dakota Quad Cab). We have two kids in car seats and I am a six-footer, so the back is getting pretty cramped. Also I thought the SLE should have fancier "upgraded" materials in the interior. Fuel economy is not great, but better than you'd expect from an engine that size - a little maintenance goes a long way in this truck.

GMC Sierra
By BJ Kirk on 09/29/06 03:26 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck with traveling in mind. Haven't retired yet, but we drive the truck every day and also driven it during vacations. Its equipped with a vortec 5.3L engine; in our opinion one of the best; along with many ammenities. We've driven it for 5 yrs and it's reliability is second to none. The cruise control is simple to use and the large bucket seats are comfortable. Also like the tilt steering wheel.

I love this truck
By drgroth1 on 02/10/06 14:32 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven this truck cross country several times, a few of these trips required towing another car behind. I went through Colorado and had no trouble keeping up with the rest of the traffic even though I was fully loaded and towing a loaded car behind me up the mountains. I have driven in snow in Minnesota and even though I do not have four wheel drive I did not have any problems, I did have snow tires installed. I get 20mpg, which is great for a truck. I cannot say enough good about this vehicle.

GMC Sierra 01
By brian on 01/20/06 02:23 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had very limited troubles with this truck. It is a little harder on batteries due to the heated seats, etc. but that is the price you pay for the luxury. The OnStar option seems nice, but I have not taken advantage of it. I believe the SLT is the (affordable) Cadillac of trucks. I look forward to being able to upgrade to a crew cab soon.

1 2 3 4 5 next »