Used 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

A real long term test
By motorbones

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

After 13 years and 252,000 miles, i think it's time a write a review. The engine is all original, and runs as good as the first day. The transmission failed after 150,000, but the new one is flawless. Aside for the normal consumables, I have had to replace one wheel bearing. That's it. That, and the fact that I have two rather expensive cars sitting in the garage, but my wife always prefers the "truck" for it's comfort and ride quality. I'm sure someone out there will beat me up on how much better they're doing with their Ram or Ford or Toyota, and I can't fault them... I don't know those trucks. But this truck doesn't show any signs that will give it up any time soon.

Rusting away
By Brian

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had fuel line, brake line rust problems, I have also had rear brake problems having 4 sets of brakes on the rear since purchase. Very disappointed in this truck. Steering noise problems. And from talking with other owners these problems are common place with GMC and Chevrolet 2001 trucks.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Better quality steel and go back to rear drum brakes.

dependable ride
By alphonse

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLT 2WD SB w/OnStar (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

purchased new in 01,in 8 yrs the truck has had very few problems. passenger side seat belt tightens up on its own, & the interior light switch had a short.Oe tires had to be replaced at 35k, & the on star system is no longer compatible with the new digital system. fuel mileage averages about 17 in mixed driving, 20mpg is achievable on long highway travel.I would buy another gmc if we wear this one out, brakes still have about 60% life left.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, whole interior is comfortable & user friendly.Easy to change halogen light bulbs.Reasonably Quiet ride, & decent handling for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign seat belts.

Still love it after 9
By CLIFFMO

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

110000 mi and still original brakes and I tow a 5th wheel. Always serviced at dealer. Driver's seat leather needed replacement - outside edge, otherwise excellent wear and reliability.

Favorite Features

Tow-Haul an asset. Great sound system. Many compliments

Suggested Improvements

Rear door should open wider - remove rear inside door latch - people bump heads regularly

Whoa there
By KNOCK KNOCK

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SL 2WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Truck runs good but there have been some problems. The brake light goes on most of the time, brakes are in working order says dealer. I need plenty of distance to stop. Gas gauge goes up and down intermitantly if you fill-up, at 1/2 tank it will go away. I have racks and boxes which has made body panels break away at tailights. Pro-grade not. Response was too much weight on bed? Vibration or shudder on launch. Mechanic found bearing in tail of tranny is worn. Remove to repair, too much weight?. Engine knocks on start still, response was could not replicate. Taigate cables were only repair that was correctly solved. The rusty bumper+driveline clunking was ignored.

Favorite Features

The 5.3 motor and locking differential are working still (knock knock).