Great Truck
By ldiamo on
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB
I have owned this truck for 9 years. Highway, city, offroad. Hot sun, freezing winters with heavy, deep snow and ice, and torrential rain. My version is a 4DR Extended Cab SLE Z71, 5.3L with custom cap and racks. This is a fabulous truck. Handles great and delivers fantastic performance under absolutely any condition and/or load. But it had growing pains: bad ABS brakes,and some electrical issues with power windows and doors, and extended cab hinges that didn't fit properly in cold weather. All fixed over time and the brakes are now very good(watch out for the door hinges, though.)Now in 2009 I am trading it for a Suburban Z71 for a roomier cab (family has grown). I will miss this truck.
Favorite Features
Superb unconditional performance. Excellent offroad (loves logging roads). Comfortable on long trips and just plain handles great. Wonderful 4WD system. Balances well under load. You will be rewared by giving it tires that are specific to your useage.
Suggested Improvements
Better electrics (watch the power windows/doors). Extended cab doors have weak hinges. Drive train develops slack (lash) but is good. Transmission needs a design upgrade as the 4 speed auto is "slammy" and the "lash" doesn't help.