2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Review: Love this truck

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Review

Love this truck
By Spanky on

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased brand new; 130,000 miles. Has performed exceptionally. I live in the desert and am used to problems with plastic pieces breaking; not so much with this truck. still looks like new after 10 years. Maintenance issues: Plastic retainer on tail gate latch (and cover that broke trying to access it) at 120,000 miles, Water pump (at 105,000 miles), fuels pump went bad around 40,000 miles ('cause of bad gas) and dealer replaced (under warranty) with S-10 style pump. Caused many problems. Once I went to an independent repair shop, it got fixed right. Took 45 min to lower spare tire 'cause of warped plastic sleeve that jack handle goes into. Ave mpg 15-17 (including 70+++ mph to Vegas).

Very comfortable ride. Very durable with minimal maintenance issues. 3 cigarette adapters work great for ipods, etc.

Durability of plastic components always an issue. Fuel pump located inside the fuel tank seems insane. Other than upgrade such as bluetooth, auxilary audio input, and sun visor extensions, no real changes needed.
By j_appleseed
on 01/12/11 18:20 PM (PST)

Hah, I should just copy and paste your review here, 'cause it's about identical. I'm dealing with a suspected leaky water pump on mine and my fuel pump went bad around the same mileage as yours also. My tailgate handle cover broke too, and my spare tire tube is warped also (and yes it took me about 45min to figure that one out). I really like GMC over ford or dodge, even over chevy's really.