Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Great Truck
By Hugh A.

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought truck new, primary driver. Only tme in the shop was for recalls and minor maintenance. Gas mileage was as advertised both highway and city. Got the towing package tows boat with plenty horsepower to spare. Body still very clean after all the miles and weather. My wife and I always take it on vacations instead of car it is more comfortable wife likes being above the traffic for view. Also used as work truck tow haul feature very helpful when towing have towed car, boat trailer and tow haul rings all of needed horsepower from power range helping to get to speed and maintain it on highway. Have devloped some rattles but to be expected with this many miles. Love it would buy it again!

Favorite Features

Tow Haul, 4 wheel drive automatic controls. Stereo system has wonderful quality. Truck ride very good despite 8 ply tires put on.

Suggested Improvements

Some improvements that have been made after my purchase was extention to sun visor made mine with cardboard and cloths pin.

Great truck
By ajmcd64

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck from my next door neighbor with 14K miles on it. This truck has been relatively problem- free. The only problems I've had is the fuel gauge fluctuates. I was told by the dealer that the float switch deteriorates due to additives in the gas. The power seat switch sometimes won't move the seat more than an inch at a time. I have had some slip in the rear end from a stop, but it only happens once a month or so. Truck has a great ride when it has some cargo in the bed. I took it on a 1600 mile vacation with the wife and 2 kids. Great Trip! Other than that, no complaints. Heated mirrors are probably a waste, unless you plan on plowing snow, then they are a must

Favorite Features

Fourth door, fold in mirrors, tow package, heated leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

I can't believe they haven't put "lane change turn-signal buttons" on steering wheel yet. Grab bar on drivers side when you have 4th door.

GMC Trucks are Great!
By Tim

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have put almost 35000 miles on this truck that was bought used. Never has been in the shop once! 5.3 Engine has been perfect.

Favorite Features

Center Console, Overhead Console, CD Radio, Lumbar support and reclining seats.

Suggested Improvements

Door hinges need to be a little stronger on these trucks. Small problems with both door hinges and stops is about the only thing I can complain about.

Awesome Truck
By gsp473

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I love my truck! I drive it almost daily and I haven't had any problems with it. I pull a 6000 pound fifth wheel camper to the mountains with it and it does not even feel like its working hard (with 3.42 gears!). The tranny sometimes hunts for gears on the long uphill grades, but it never stumbles or lags. The towing mode works well though it only gets about 11 MPG with camper in tow. It normally gets about 16-17 MPG. It has a car-like comfortable ride and handles well. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room in the cab. The back seat is much larger than F--- or Dodge. The exterior styling of the GMC is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the front seats would recline all the way back.

Excellent truck
By jagrant

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

One great truck. Only have changed oil and tires. Great acceleration especially compared to my Expedition. Very smooth ride. We tow a boat, 4 wheelers and a small 5th wheel and it handles great and doesn't get sluggish.

Favorite Features

Great interior and good leg room.

Suggested Improvements

None!