Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Slowly falling apart
By jcat_70

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I owned a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 for 4 years. Although, I must say, the engine and trans were reliable, partly because I used Mobil 1 synth. oil and never beat on it. Other things with the truck started to fall apart, i.e., the ABS system would intermittently go off at less than 5mph on dry surfaces, the fuel gauge would start and stop working, the right side mirror was flopping around in the wind, the tailgate handle (plastic) broke off when opening the tailgate one day. The brakes were terrible - including the rotors and way too much distance was needed to stop. The driver's door lock got jammed and wouldn't lock no anymore. Power window linkage broke. Radio lights quit working. too much!

Favorite Features

5.3L V8 engine with lots of power and very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Way better reliability on gadgets and accessories needed! Also, the throttle pedal would stick every year! That was very irritating.

Love It
By Taber

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is dependable and has had no problems since I purchased it.

Favorite Features

Personally, I like the interior set up. Everything is close and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Interior styling may be a little lacking.

Nice ride
By j byrd

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I love my truck, it has everything. The only problem I've had is the power window motors have both gone out and been replaced, and the 4 wd switch goes out and causes message board to read service 4 wd. Seems to be common problem according to dealer and other c/k 1500 owners. Other than that no problems. Gas mileage is not bad for the size of the truck. I figure 18 to 20 mpg, Hwy miles about 480 to tank, hwy & city I got about 454. It's a good looking truck. I get compliments on it all the time. I haven't done much to it, Stainless wheel to wheel nerf bars & tubular grill & soft snapless extreme tonneau cover, everything else stock.

Suggested Improvements

Better power window motors, and should have been a recall on 4 wd switches

Great Truck
By Hugh A.

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought truck new, primary driver. Only tme in the shop was for recalls and minor maintenance. Gas mileage was as advertised both highway and city. Got the towing package tows boat with plenty horsepower to spare. Body still very clean after all the miles and weather. My wife and I always take it on vacations instead of car it is more comfortable wife likes being above the traffic for view. Also used as work truck tow haul feature very helpful when towing have towed car, boat trailer and tow haul rings all of needed horsepower from power range helping to get to speed and maintain it on highway. Have devloped some rattles but to be expected with this many miles. Love it would buy it again!

Favorite Features

Tow Haul, 4 wheel drive automatic controls. Stereo system has wonderful quality. Truck ride very good despite 8 ply tires put on.

Suggested Improvements

Some improvements that have been made after my purchase was extention to sun visor made mine with cardboard and cloths pin.

Great truck
By ajmcd64

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck from my next door neighbor with 14K miles on it. This truck has been relatively problem- free. The only problems I've had is the fuel gauge fluctuates. I was told by the dealer that the float switch deteriorates due to additives in the gas. The power seat switch sometimes won't move the seat more than an inch at a time. I have had some slip in the rear end from a stop, but it only happens once a month or so. Truck has a great ride when it has some cargo in the bed. I took it on a 1600 mile vacation with the wife and 2 kids. Great Trip! Other than that, no complaints. Heated mirrors are probably a waste, unless you plan on plowing snow, then they are a must

Favorite Features

Fourth door, fold in mirrors, tow package, heated leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

I can't believe they haven't put "lane change turn-signal buttons" on steering wheel yet. Grab bar on drivers side when you have 4th door.