Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Professional Grade Junk
By Ed Mack

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I purchased this truck over others because I thought it was better built. The truck is not driven hard. I payed 30,000 for it and have been fixing it ever since. To the tune of 5,000 so far. Some of the things fixed are, Both window regulators, 2 sets of wheel bearings, abs braking system, water pump, fuel gauge, air compressor bearings, fuel pressure sensor, throttle plate replace, battery replace after 1yr, leather seat material rip after 1 year, payed 750 to fix it because it was running rough. I evetually found the problem to be a loose oxy sensor which should have cost nothing to fix. Also I think that the cost of getting this truck fixed at the dealer is crazy excessive. Won't buy another one ever

Heated leather seats, 4wd, cab size

Redesign the window regulators, wheel bearings, water pump, fuel gauge connecter. Bring the cost of repair down to eath instaed of uranus !

Some mechanical problems
By gmfan

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am surprised to see so many positive reviews on this vehicle. True, it is fun to drive and has a good ride and great stereo, there have been several disappointing mechanical problems. It seems to chew through brake pads in about 10000 miles. This problem was worse before the recall work on the anti-lock brakes that I am surprised no one else has commented on. Also, the rear tailgate is about to rust off and a brake line has rusted through leading to a brake fluid loss and near braking disaster. Also, numerous squeaks and noises that are undiagnosable.

Good stereo, excellent seats, good 4wd system.

Quality of parts may be lacking?

Nice truck
By M & K

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I like my truck. Pretty good gas mileage for a V-8 (about 18-21 city and 22-24 highway). Comfy ride. A few problems with the rear driveline. Had to replace both u-joints about 6 months ago and now it is squeaking and clanking again. Rear axle probably needs to be rebuilt. 3-rd door is nice, but back seat as a little smaller than I'd like. Pretty good power and towing capabilities. Heater is bad- not very warm and I have to put it on high to even feel any air flow.

4wd, bench seat so my woman can sit next to me, 3rd door, good sized bed for an SB.

Front end sag, rear axle issues

My 2000 GMC Sierra Experience
By RidgeRunner

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been exceptionally reliable and dependable. I have had other older similar trucks (Chevy) but this truck is better. In 6 years, only one 4x4 switch on the dash has failed me. It is fun to drive and very functional, comfortable and well designed.

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4 x 4
By Mike

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had my truck for 6 years, and I still love it. It's been a great work truck, and has the comfort of driving a car. It's been great in both the snow and mud, and has never had a problem. It's definitely a keeper. The only thing that I wish is that I would have gotten the rear window defogger, and the 4th door.

Tons of power and a smooth comfortable ride that's great for long trips in the mountains.

A real leather back seat, and better gas mileage would be nice.

• SUV