Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Some mechanical problems
By gmfan

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am surprised to see so many positive reviews on this vehicle. True, it is fun to drive and has a good ride and great stereo, there have been several disappointing mechanical problems. It seems to chew through brake pads in about 10000 miles. This problem was worse before the recall work on the anti-lock brakes that I am surprised no one else has commented on. Also, the rear tailgate is about to rust off and a brake line has rusted through leading to a brake fluid loss and near braking disaster. Also, numerous squeaks and noises that are undiagnosable.

Favorite Features

Good stereo, excellent seats, good 4wd system.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of parts may be lacking?

Nice truck
By M & K

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I like my truck. Pretty good gas mileage for a V-8 (about 18-21 city and 22-24 highway). Comfy ride. A few problems with the rear driveline. Had to replace both u-joints about 6 months ago and now it is squeaking and clanking again. Rear axle probably needs to be rebuilt. 3-rd door is nice, but back seat as a little smaller than I'd like. Pretty good power and towing capabilities. Heater is bad- not very warm and I have to put it on high to even feel any air flow.

Favorite Features

4wd, bench seat so my woman can sit next to me, 3rd door, good sized bed for an SB.

Suggested Improvements

Front end sag, rear axle issues

My 2000 GMC Sierra Experience
By RidgeRunner

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been exceptionally reliable and dependable. I have had other older similar trucks (Chevy) but this truck is better. In 6 years, only one 4x4 switch on the dash has failed me. It is fun to drive and very functional, comfortable and well designed.

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4 x 4
By Mike

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had my truck for 6 years, and I still love it. It's been a great work truck, and has the comfort of driving a car. It's been great in both the snow and mud, and has never had a problem. It's definitely a keeper. The only thing that I wish is that I would have gotten the rear window defogger, and the 4th door.

Favorite Features

Tons of power and a smooth comfortable ride that's great for long trips in the mountains.

Suggested Improvements

A real leather back seat, and better gas mileage would be nice.

Great GMC truck z71
By lawrence forester

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I loved this truck. It did everything I wanted it to do. The only reason I want to sell it is I am a realtor and need a car to show houses in.

Favorite Features

Comfort. Heated seats. High view. Performance